Are these rollers bad

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Im going to rehab my trailer while my boat is on stands
My last boat was on bunks so rollers are new to me
Are these rollers ok?
Are they supposed to wobble this much?
And are the arms the rollers are on supposed to tilt
Because some of the roller arms are so tight they dont move to comform to the hull bottom

Attachments

• photo280406.JPG
    photo280406.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280407.jpg
    photo280407.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280408.jpg
    photo280408.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280409.JPG
    photo280409.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 0

Johnny000789

Recruit
Im interested in installing rollers on my trailer as well just bought my first boat last week:laugh:

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Im just worried that my rollers wobble to much
And the arms that hold the rollers to tight and wont adjust to the hulls bottom

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Can’t tell from the pictures but chances are they’re shot.

They should not have flat spots and should turn easily. They also should not have come unbounded from the washer.

Nobody077

Recruit
Looks like a old eazyloader trailer and I would say most of those rollers look shot from the pics. If your doing a rehab switch over to standard bunks unless you just have to have the rollers.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
My last boat had bunks (20 yrs ago)so rollers are
New to me
Its an older shorline trailer that came with my boat
they do roll theres no flat spots and they wobble
Could i possibly use them like this?

Nobody077

Recruit
There should be a little wobble in them, but not side to side play if that makes sence. If the centers are structurally intact then use them. With a roller trailer make sure to use good tiedowns and alwase be sure your winch strap is in good shape and bow safety cable is good, rollers will let boat shift front to back.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My last boat had bunks (20 yrs ago)so rollers are
New to me
Its an older shorline trailer that came with my boat
they do roll theres no flat spots and they wobble
Could i possibly use them like this?
In theory you can use them until they fall...
A roller? demise really only affects the effort required to load and unload the boat. When I upgraded from ?worn? rubber to poly rollers the difference was day and night.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Ok thanks for the help
Im going to rehab the trailer this spring so im just buying the items i need over the winter

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Being that you are new to roller trailers, a tiny bit of advice. DO NOT by any means remove your winch strap and safety chain prior to backing down the ramp. If you do your boat will most likely be off the trailer before you get the water.

Never done it, seen it plenty of times.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Yea i figured that
When i get the boat in the water and release the winch strap the boat will want to roll off?
Now how do i remove the boat weight off the winchstrap to unhook it for the boat to roll into yhe water?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Now how do i remove the boat weight off the winchstrap to unhook it for the boat to roll into yhe water?
Two methodologies. Winch boat off trailer since you?ll need the strap extended to retrieve the boat anyhow..or the method I use....wrap bow line around winch post 2-3 times (don?t over lap wraps. Line from boat on bottom, wrap up) then back winch off until the weight is on the bow line, then unhook winch line.

Control decent of boat using tension wraps. I have no problems launching my #5500 boat by myself.

Cheat on retrieval....electric winch. Stand clear, push button

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yep, exactly what dingbat said. I've launched many times on steep ramps with the bow line wrapped around the winch post.

That being said, most of the time when I loosen up the winch strap the boat might move a tiny bit and stop. Further loosen the winch strap so I can remove it, give er a little nudge and hold on to the dock line.

I generally have to winch the boat back on the trailer unless I have a trained assistant with me. I can't power load myself cuz the bow eye is too far down, add a bow mount trolling motor and it's totally out of reach.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys...how far into the water should the trsiler be to load the boat on ....with my bunk trailer i had to go in pretty far

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys...how far into the water should the trsiler be to load the boat on ....with my bunk trailer i had to go in pretty far
Depends on the trailer and the ramp.
I back in until the front fender (tandem) is just above the water or the wheels of the truck touch water, which ever comes first.

If you get too deep, the boat will not center in the rollers

randale

Cadet
Those looks shot to me either. I remember the guy next door I helped installing the kelderman air ride suspension and brake job on his truck when he showed me his old rollers. They look the same as yours and wobble pretty bad.