Hard to get hitch down on ball

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think the underjaw is not withdrawing correctly. Takes a lot of work to get the ball mount to sit down all the way. Is this fixable? I know nothing about hitches. I had to find a diagram to describe the parts.

Alumarine

Captain
Are you sure you have the right size ball for the hitch?
Smaller trailers often use a 1-7/8" ball.

After you get it on is it easy or hard to close the latch?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Surge brakes? Make sure the neck on your ball is long enough. I had the same trouble on a combination ball insert. This is an insert that had 1-7/8, 2?, and 2-5/16? balls. The neck on the 2? ball was extremely short which led to trouble closing the lock on the Atwood coupler.

Regards.

tpenfield

Staff member
Often people make the mistake of lowering the hitch a bit too far forward and catch the clamping mechanism and closes it.

Make sure the clamping mechanism on the hitch is fully releases and pull down/back on it to make sure the opening is plenty wide so that it can lower onto the ball without interference.

Last edited:

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Maybe just me, but i assume you are having trouble dropping it onto the ball.. correct?

I was having the same issues, it was also hard to release from the ball too. Both of my trailers have no adjusting mechanism and i havent found replacement kits like most. I first used WD-40 and deep creep thinking it would help, it didnt. I let a few months go by and gave another try with a spray liquid. This time i used a teflon base spray that i also use on my motorcycle chain. Worked excellent, it now drops on and releases as it should. The product is made by finish line, it is marketed toward bicycles but works great for motorcycle chains as well. It is their "wet" chain lube, black can, green top. Its now my go to spray if i need something teflon based... i used to use tri flow.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I should add, if you do have the adjustable type you should go that route. Under the latch is a nut, that is what puts pressure against the latch and underside of the tow ball. The best way to do this is loosen the nut, drop the hitch on the ball, latch it and begin to tighten the nut. while tightening stop every half to full turn and lift up on the hitch, if you fill play in the hitch keep tightening. It should be snug, not tight but not too loose on the ball. After you have tightened the nut up unlatch it and check to make sure you still have clearance to remove the hitch from ball. Drop the hitch back on and relatch, it should not be that hard to latch.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes once the receiver sits all the way down the latch close easily. And when unhitching it releases and lifts off fine. Even being careful to stay forward in the receiver it is catching the under jaw. So this is not all of the time. Some days it goes pretty easy but today it took 10 minutes of fooling with it. This is a heavy trailer so the 2”? ball is correct. From what I’ve read here I think tailking82 May have hit with adjusting the nut. There is nut under there and it does seem like the underjaw is too far forward when the latch lever is up. I will try that. Thanks all. I’ll report back

NYBo

Admiral
Be careful not to make it too loose. You don't want the coupler to pop off the ball while towing. :distress:

The latch may not be releasing fully. While the coupler is over the ball, try pushing back on the latch with your finger then lower the tongue.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It sounds like it is adjusted properly, spray it down with a lubricant spray before you attempt to adjust it any further.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Is the hitch on the trailer bent?
Sometimes when I'm backing I hit the hitch with the step bumper or ball (trailer too low or bad eyesight.)
It could be your receiver is out of round.

ahicks

Captain
If the trailer is pushing on the tow vehicle, often that clamping jaw gets hung on the top of the ball. It's nearly always easier if the front of the coupler is placed on top of the ball, then given a "nudge" forward to allow it to drop down on the ball.

If that's not working out, lubrication is often a factor, and if the coupler is an older one, there's a spring located directly above that "jaw" that's supposed to push it down into the released position that may be missing or shot.