bearing grease

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what type and brand of trailer grease do you use? my concern is I end up blowing out my seals, i've seen where it said you need a light weight high temp grease for boat trailer bearings with disc brakes ( they run hotter than drum), but also somewhat need water resistant. if it's low temp then it's getting too hot and seeping out, but higher temp is usually thicker so it will push past seals. by the way i have easy-lube axle which has the zerk on end of axle and it comes out between inner seal and bearing. i don't drive too far during season, 5-6 times at 40 miles each way and 1 long trip say 150 miles each way. what's your preference?

alldodge

Staff member
Any marine rated trailer bearing grease

Mostly LubriMatic

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You should never be blowing out your seals with that type of lube system, there should never be any pressure in it.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are many types of grease to use and many work fine with disc brakes. With my Kodiac brakes on the Wellcraft in my sig I use StaLube Marine grease. I go down mountains in the Sierra Nevada from 7K feet to sea level with zero issues.

Most important thing to do when changing grease base types is clean all the old grease out and handpack fresh with whatever grease you decide to use. Mixing grease base types is a recipe for failure.

As far as the EZ-Lube system is concerned, go to an RV forum and do a search for blown seals with EZ-Lube axles.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Speaking of RV's, I have EZ lube axles on my travel trailer. Whenever I grease the bearings, or think about it, I make sure it's after the trailer was on the road for a 10 miles or so so the grease gets warmed up a bit and flows out easier. I use synthetic bearing grease which "moves" nicely anyway, but just want to make sure all the grease moves easily.

As for blowing seals, are you using cheap seals? Try to find double lipped spring reinforced seals, they are much more robust and just better at keeping water out.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I just use the quicksilver extreme grease for this and most other things.
In reality any high speed rotational grease will do, with some water resistant qualities.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
From dexter

having problems from tablet will post link soon from laptop