Help with trailer wheel size

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I have a 18ft, 1990 Ranger 361V Comanche with original trailer. I just had a blow out on one of my trailer tires. I changed the tire, came home to research what tire to buy. This is my 1st time. I quickly found out that I have automobile tires on and not trailer tires. Could someone tell me what load range and what size tire to buy. Thanks in advance

superbenk

Commander
The trailer should have a sticker on it with information about recommended tires & load ratings from the factory. However, if it does not I?d probably look for a similarly sized radial trailer tire in a load range C or D for that size boat. D is probably slightly overkill, but I like the added peace of mind. Note that a D rated tire will have thicker sidewalls & thus ride a bit stiffer than a C (also pros/cons to that).

Definitely spend the few extra for a radial vs. bias ply as they tend to hold up better in my experience & run smoother. Look for an R in the size instead of a D (eg, 205/75R14ST vs. 205/75D14ST).

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all that great information. I am at work now, but when I get home I will check for that sticker. And I will take your advice and get the radials. You guys rock!!!!!!

ahicks

Captain
Chance are extremely high that your tire blew due to old age or actually more likely, low inflation. Inflation critical on trailer tires!

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks ahicks, I will definitely be more cautious of trailer tires for now on. Luckily I wasn't on a highway and could pull over quickly.

superbenk

Commander
Also note that trailer tires have a lifespan/shelf life. They dry out & wear out internally sometimes before they appear worn out externally. The treads may look fine but the sidewalls might be dry rotted or there may be internal belt separation etc. it?s typically expected that trailer tires should be replaced every 3-5 years as preventative maintenance. I?m sure many have gone much longer than that, but it becomes a gamble.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Tire size on it now is P205/75 R14
Just so you know, that is a passenger tire and needs to be derated by 10% for use on a trailer. You can also go with an ST tire of the same size and it will have a much higher rating.