Is my boat too light for the trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my boat too light for the trailer?

I just boat a used trailer for my boat. The trailer is made for a heavier boat than mine. The trailer is rated for net carrying capacity of 2875lb. My boat is including motor, batteries, etc is around 1500lb. The tongue weight is at 10% right around 150lb. Do you think I will have any issues with the boat being 1300lb under the capacity of the trailer? Will it possibly bounce around or sway when being towed?

Information from trailer sticker:
    GVWR 3420lb; GAWR all alxles 3420lb with ST205/75/R15C tires @ 50 PSI

Boat is a 1985 Lund Nisswa catalog weight 910lb with 2005 Mercury 4 stroke 60hp weight 245lb

Comment

Don't see any issues, other then loading and launching. If it sits the boat high you just need to get deeper in the water
      94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
      95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
      07 SeaDoo GTX
      Raw Water Pump Maintenance
      Merc Adults Only

Comment

If tongue weight is right you won't have towing issues. But if the trailer capacity far exceeds the boat weight then the trailer won't know the boat is even there. You will more than likely be towing a basically empty trailer, and yes it will bounce around.

Comment

All due respect to All Dodge... Yes the trailer will handle it just fine. Deeper in water.. But, you WILL be bouncing the hell outta that poor boat on the road

Comment

Originally posted by ronward View Post
            All due respect to All Dodge... Yes the trailer will handle it just fine. Deeper in water.. But, you WILL be bouncing the hell outta that poor boat on the road
            The thing that is best about iboats is everyone has an opinion
            94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
            95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
            07 SeaDoo GTX
            Raw Water Pump Maintenance
            Merc Adults Only

Comment

Originally posted by ronward View Post
              ... you WILL be bouncing the hell outta that poor boat on the road
              concur. Think hardtail Harley... the boat will barely compress the springs on that trailer, the tires will be the 'suspension'. I would at least look into replacing the springs...

1988 SkipperLiner 53x14 - - - 2002 Regal 2860 Commodore

1995 SunTracker 32' Party Cruiser - - -1987 Sea Ray 21' Seaville Midcabin

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should probably resell it and look for another trailer.

Or maybe I should just convince the wife i need a a bigger boat to fit the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by jrucks View Post
                  Sounds like I should probably resell it.....
                  Nah... You just need more essentials in your boat, 112# trolling motors bow and stern, 3-4 TM batteries, 40" LED screen (TV) fish finder, dozen rods and 4 tackle boxes, couple cases of beer, etc. Just the bare necessities

2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
                  2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

You will be ok. I had a 1500# boat on a 3500# trailer and it towed great and didn't bounce at all. The best part was when I went camping and loaded the boat with gear I wasn't worried that I was over loaded . And if its an older trailer that you got the springs are most likely a little worn and not necessarily as springy as when new.

Comment

It'll be fine.
                      Strap the boat down tight and hit the road.

Boat and trailer become one when strapped together.

You will do far more damage to the trailer, tires and boat if the trailer is undersized.
                      Medford, WI

Comment

they sell new springs every day........
                        1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                        X