Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advise on how to setup bunks on trailer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on how to setup bunks on trailer.

So on my last outing I had a little bit of a problem getting the boat back on the trailer, would've been a YouTube boat ramp failure video but my buddy was too slow to get his phone out lol. It's a 94 Aquatron 1800, and what little information I can find as far as the boat fitting this trailer tells me that it is the trailer it came with. There are only 2 long bunks on swivels on the trailer(you can probably guess what happened while loading in a crosswind and the boat didn't center itself on the wobbly bunks)but they just don't look correct. The closer to the bow you get the strakes? are actually sitting on the bunks not inside or outside or them. My buddies boat has 2 smaller bunks on each side that kind of cradle the strakes? and makes his boat much easier to load. How can I get the boat off the trailer to build new bunks? Or do I just do it with the boat on the trailer and hold the bunks firmly against the hull? I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get home so ya'll can get an idea of what I think is a problem. Maybe it's not and I'm just terrible at loading a boat.

Yes need pics
    The more bunks the better in most cases. Need a keel set and an outboard set. Get them adjust correctly and you can come in almost sideways and it will center its self.
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 SeaDoo GTX
    Raw Water Pump Maintenance
    Merc Adults Only

Comment

More is not necessarily better if the bunks are not adjusted correctly.
      How much of the bunks were out of the water when you were loading? A lot of people back the trailer in far too deep, making very difficult to load the boat

Comment

It got dark before I got home last night but I'll get some pics up in a couple hours. Funny you mention sideways AllDodge, that's just about what I did lol. I'd say maybe a 1/3 of the bunks were out of the water, the tops of the trailer fenders were barely out of the water. The bunks are at least 6 ft long, so id say 2 ft or so was out of the water?

Comment

Originally posted by 09TNRT View Post
          It got dark before I got home last night but I'll get some pics up in a couple hours. Funny you mention sideways AllDodge, that's just about what I did lol. I'd say maybe a 1/3 of the bunks were out of the water, the tops of the trailer fenders were barely out of the water. The bunks are at least 6 ft long, so id say 2 ft or so was out of the water?
          Use to boat a lot in the Ohio river, and many times the river current was up. The Admiral always has trouble driving the boat, but she never had a problem getting the Rinker on the trailer. The trailer has a set of keel and outer bunks. Never took more then one time for her to get it on, it would ride it self right on.

Now the cruiser is another issue. I just installed some bunks more forward on the trailer to help with it. Will be pulling it out in another month or so, then I'll find out if it helps with it
          07 SeaDoo GTX
          Merc Adults Only

Comment

Are the bunk swivels tight or do they allow the bunk to move? With the boat set on the trailer properly let the bunks go where they want to to snug up to the hull. Then tighten the swivel bolts. That should help centering the boat when loading it. Also try not going in so deep. Each boat and ramp is different and yours may need 1/2 the fenders above the water to load it easier. Keep trying different depths and you will find that sweet spot.

Dave S. S/W Louisiana
            2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
            Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
            Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Comment

I swear I uploaded pics and they're not showing up? I'll try again I guess. They swivel loosely enough that the boat popped sideways on the trailer when I tried to load it. Instead of the bunks centering the boat, they shifted sending the boat into the trailer fender.

Comment

Comment

That black paint smudge came from the opposite side trailer fender. And those zip ties are just there for whatever reason, they aren't holding anything, I just keep forgetting to cut them off when the boat isn't sitting on top of them.

Comment

Think you could use an extra set. I would suggest need a set on the keel with a 6 to 8 inch space between them. Then your current set moved further out on the other side of the lifting strakes. Use 2x6 boards

Edit: Guess I should add, you don't have much a Vee hull so it won't ride into the center as easy as a deeper Vee
                    Last edited by AllDodge; September 29th, 2017, 04:01 PM.
                    07 SeaDoo GTX
                    Merc Adults Only

Comment

The bow area is a Farley deep V, it's deeper than my buddies ebbtide. So if I'm thinking correct, I should leave what's on there now and just move them to the outside of the strakes and add 2 up front for the keel. I'll post a pic of the front of the boat when I get home so I make sure I understand correctly.

Comment

Well be back home Sunday, so if I remember I'll post some pics of my Rinker
                        07 SeaDoo GTX
                        Merc Adults Only

Comment

Here is the Rinker
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1295.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	278238

Name:	Photo1296.jpg
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	278239

Name:	Photo1297.jpg
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	278240

This is my Cruiser

Name:	Photo1294.jpg
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	278241
                          07 SeaDoo GTX
                          Merc Adults Only

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to respond, Iboats logged me out and I couldn't log back in to respond. I see what you meant by mine not being a very deep vee. Not related but would that have something to do with its awful low speed maneuverability lol? My buddies ebbtide is really deep like yours and set up similar. Would I be better off mimicking yours and his bunk setup even though mines not very deep?

Comment

That's the rear bunks on my buddies boat, almost the same as yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X