Don't use car tires on your trailer!! :0

Maclin

Admiral
I just got back from China, I was at a trade show with a great deal of high tech manufacturing equipment on display, what they are capable of doing, and what gets sent out of the country for sale can be two very different things. When a company over here says they want to buy low cost tires, they get just that.

Have been thru that, just not with tires. Companies outsourcing need to be very detail specific about every attribute of anything you want built offshore or you may get something that only looks exactly like a tire :) Here we were used to rules and regs and got used to that being built into the process, off shore not so much.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I think just about every ST tire comes from CH land now, at least from what I've seen in all the threads about ST tires.

I know that once I say that someone will point out a brand made somewhere else though.

Goodyear Endurance are made in the US, Goodyear makes mention of it on the website. They cost a bit more than the Offshore GY Marathons, but....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Have been thru that, just not with tires. Companies outsourcing need to be very detail specific about every attribute of anything you want built offshore or you may get something that only looks exactly like a tire :) Here we were used to rules and regs and got used to that being built into the process, off shore not so much.
I was the lead Engineer and Project Manager on a multi-million dollar new factory build in California. The CEO insisted on using China because it was HALF the cost of the USA company I specified. My specifications for every part were over 80 pages long for each. Things like meeting the National Electric Code and OSHA, for example, were very clear. The Chinacrap company agreed to each item in writing.

The State of California inspectors would not pass any of the wiring - it had to all be replaced - because it did not meet the NEC. All painted items were tested, contained lead, and the State required that I dispose of the hazards and replace all of the parts. All of the pumps were USA knockouts, right down to the color, but all had to be replaced because they wouldn't even pump water downhill. My "half cost" plant now cost DOUBLE the quote for made in USA.

An American company that has a china factory under their control MIGHT produce an acceptable product. All else, beware.

bigdee

Commander
If your afraid of China stuff don't fly on a plane. Or drive your Ford or Chevy.

ggray

Seaman
Interesting thread.

I thought trailer tires were subject to less demanding regulations than car tires, so would be considered somewhat inferior. Load capacities and tire pressure need to be honored, of course.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On a single axle trailer I don't really worry. On a tandem or tridem it makes more of a difference because while turning, especially backing sharp turns, the tires have to slide and scuff. Trailer tires have stiffer, thicker sidewalls to accommodate this better.