Tow rigs

Drewster2010

Cadet
If you are buying from a marina or boat dealer they will deliver it free or for a reasonable fee. Finding a truck will be a couple day process at best provided you at least have a brand in mind. Use Car Gurus to spec what you want (new or used) and the radius would travel to get it. When you have the boat, go to the sellers you previously located. Bought my last SUV that way and it saved time and money.
I?m looking for trucks down south that aren?t rusted out like up here in New England, flying down and then driving truck home. the boat I?m loking on boattrader for and will travel to pick up the boat.

briangcc

Commander
2016 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x4 towed my 19'6" Four Winns 200Le without any issues. I guesstimate my total package at 5k between the boat, gear and the tandem trailer. MPG's while towing were 13 from Buffalo NY to Alexandria Bay NY - some hilly territory. Unloaded, I averaged about 17MPG. My previous truck, 2013 Tundra Doublecab 5.7L 4x4 got same mileage towing but when unloaded I was averaging around 19MPG.

I've ridden in a few Dodge's and had some of the smaller Dakota's as loaners and they're horrible on gas mileage unloaded. Look elsewhere if you're looking for economy when not towing.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I'm surprised anyone would recommend a Tundra for fuel economy as the biggest complaint from owners about that truck is its horrible fuel economy. As far as MPG in a gas powered 1/2 ton PU, you can't do any worse than the Tundra.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I’m looking for trucks down south that aren’t rusted out like up here in New England, flying down and then driving truck home. the boat I’m looking on boattrader for and will travel to pick up the boat.

previous truck I got is AZ if you are thinking of long travel consider this. no rust from salt or rain. Sun fade maybe but I got what I confirmed was a one old guy owner only used to haul 5th wheel and parked under cover. Old guys with money can do that... 2003 cummins with only 50k on it. The one below i got in OH and pretty rusty spent some $ on all new front end. Still great buy on an 06 with 75k on same cummins

boatman37

Lieutenant
M y 2013 Ram Hemi 4x4 QC with 3.55s and 6 speed auto gets about 15-16 in town and 18-19 highway. I had a loaner 2014 same truck but with 3.92s and 8 speed auto and got 22 highway and about 17 in town if I remember correctly. My step-son has a 2015 and my step-father had a 2014 and just got a 2017 all with 3.92s and 8 speed. Can't speak for the new 2017 but the others were all around 22 highway and 17 in town. I get about 10 MPG pulling my 8000lb boat/trailer

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A little outside the OP's year range but...
I have a 2011 Ram quad-cab, 5.7L, tow package, 4x4, 3.92* rear axle. I tow a lot of stuff with it.

The following are CAT scale weights with trailers normally loaded (water, food, fuel, etc):
With my 7980lb travel trailer, I get 8-9 mpg, depending on how hilly the terrain is.
With my 6600 lb fifth wheel and 3200 lb Moomba ski boat, I got 6 mpg (I towed them both together, boat behind 5th wheel)
With my 6800lb Sea Ray 230, I got 11.0 mpg.
With my 9800lb Sea Ray 270, I got 8.0 mpg (estimate, only towed 130 miles to new slip)
Unloaded, in town, I get 16-17 mpg.
Unloaded highway I get 21 mpg (This is a frequent 350 mile trip, flat interstate the entire way).

Details:
I have self-leveling air bag suspension in the rear (aftermarket).
The large camper is towed with a Hensley hitch, sway can be a problem with 1/2 tons and 35 foot trailers.
The 23 ft boat was towed with a weight distributing (trunnion bar) hitch.
The 27 ft boat was towed with an Equalizer hitch (4-point sway control).
Truck has a 15K+ GCWR, and a 6700 GVWR.
All the rigs listed above are within GCWR. All but the short trip with SR270 are within GVWR (I exceeded it slightly but it was a flatland, smooth trip).
The GVWR will be your limiting factor, with the big camper we have to be very careful with loading, and carry almost nothing in the truck.

*going from memory, it's 3.9-something.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
...3.92* rear axle.

*going from memory, it's 3.9-something.
Your memory is correct. 3.92 has been one of the available Dodge/Ram axle ratios available for years. That's what I had in my my '99 Dakota and what I have in my '07 Ram 1500.

briangcc

Commander
I'm surprised anyone would recommend a Tundra for fuel economy as the biggest complaint from owners about that truck is its horrible fuel economy. As far as MPG in a gas powered 1/2 ton PU, you can't do any worse than the Tundra.

Until you've ridden in a Dodge. They're horrible on gas. And the dealers in my neck of the woods can't service them worth beans. I found (1) good dealership, when I was going to college in PA. The WNY dealers are horrible - they can sell them, they certainly can't service them.

And really, if towing isn't your primary concern with the truck, ie. mostly a daily driven - very little towing, then a GM can work fine. If it's the other way around, I wouldn't go near a GM 1500 series truck. Buddy has a '12 Av with the active fuel management and I had to lock his truck into 4th (it's a 6 speed if I recall) to avoid hunting gears pulling my '05 Four Winns. Same load, same path - Tundra pulled effortlessly in OD. That's where the Tundra gets its marks. And there was plenty of reserve power with the Tundra, not so much with the GM.

And personally I won't touch another GM as my '04 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 was a basket case of what could go wrong next. Personal experience over 130k miles of ownership since new.

Drewster2010

Cadet
Until you've ridden in a Dodge. They're horrible on gas. And the dealers in my neck of the woods can't service them worth beans. I found (1) good dealership, when I was going to college in PA. The WNY dealers are horrible - they can sell them, they certainly can't service them.

And really, if towing isn't your primary concern with the truck, ie. mostly a daily driven - very little towing, then a GM can work fine. If it's the other way around, I wouldn't go near a GM 1500 series truck. Buddy has a '12 Av with the active fuel management and I had to lock his truck into 4th (it's a 6 speed if I recall) to avoid hunting gears pulling my '05 Four Winns. Same load, same path - Tundra pulled effortlessly in OD. That's where the Tundra gets its marks. And there was plenty of reserve power with the Tundra, not so much with the GM.

And personally I won't touch another GM as my '04 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4 Z71 was a basket case of what could go wrong next. Personal experience over 130k miles of ownership since new.

Yes I know the dishes are horrible on gas, but probaly more reliable than fords 5.4. The truck will only be used to tow the boat, and home depot trips and such, I have a car that is my daily driver. I like gms but with what I?m lookjng to spend finding a crewcab that isn?t rusted out is a little tricky, many 04-07 Dodge and fords

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No reason to buy a diesel. I would get a 2006 or newer. 2006 Ram came out with MDS which could give you approx 20mpg running empty.