Tire blow out now blackened white plastic fender

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The fender took a beating but is sold. But the tire really blackened it up. It's a Shorelander trailer. I've done some initial cleaning but it's going to take a lot more. So any tips on cleaning that white plastic fender?

I did find a Fulton replacement fender that looks the same on Amazon for $32. That might be the easiest. Are they a suitable replacement fender on a Shorelander?. Thanks!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Shoreland'r fenders are shoreland'r only. Use carb cleaner or mineral spirits to remove the black marks

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mineral spirits didn't touch it. I don't have any carb cleaner but will get some and try that next. Brake cleaner maybe too corrosive? Got that. Or I wonder if I could sand it down to clean then hit with real fine sand paper?

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ultimately, you may have to paint it if you can't get it clean enough to your satisfaction. I'd be leery of trying to sand plastic. I'd clean as best as possible and then consider a good quality plastic spray paint.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
frankthomas I feel your pain. I have a Shorelander tandem axle trailer and about 5 weeks ago heading up north I blew a tire, tread separation actually, took one fender along with it and beat up the fender in front of it.

Save yourself the work. Take your trailer VIN number to your Shorlander dealer and order another fender. Mine were like $75 a piece and took about 1/2 hour to replace which included removing the tires.
The tire also tore off the red marker light and one of the connectors, so I get to buy a portion of the wiring harness as well.

My trailer is a 1995 and everything is still available for it.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
TyeeMan I think that may be my solution. It's like the rubber vulcanized itself into the plastic of the fender. I got a few small marks on the gelcoat of the boat but a boat cleaner/wax took that off pretty easily.

TyeeMan

Yeah I know what you mean. It's like the black rubber became part of the fender.

It's neither hear nor there but here in Minnesota, I swear I have never seen so many boats on the side of the road with blown tires, missing tires and anything else tire related this year. Strange observation.

wahlejim

Tire covers are worth their weight in gold! UV rays weaken rubber, even during winter hibernation. Heck, even plastic garbage bags to the trick. Often overlooked in winterization and storage procedures.

jkust

Rear Admiral
One of a few reasons several years back we just decided to buy a house on a lake and not be trailer boaters was tire blow outs. I had so many, it didn't matter the tires were brand new many times. Even blew out the spare on one trip. So many stories...Anyway, I had used the old magic eraser to get some of that off at one point. It takes the shine off the white plastic but big deal.