boat not sitting correctly on trailer?

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you re-checked your tongue weight since making these changes?

Yes, tongue weight is 6.2% of the total weight. LoadRite manual states optimum is 5 - 7%. Sounds low, but that's what the book says.

Haven't had a chance to do anything with the boat. Weather not cooperating.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, tongue weight is 6.2% of the total weight. LoadRite manual states optimum is 5 - 7%. Sounds low, but that's what the book says.

Haven't had a chance to do anything with the boat. Weather not cooperating.

My 17' CC on a Load Rite as also at around 6%. Some will say you should go higher, even 10-15%, but 5-7% is what I like on a single-axle boat trailer, too.

One thing though, in your case a little more tongue weight might help cut down on your bouncing front issue.

osuchica1284

Cadet
Wow, what advice?

If the first roller is that high then it will never touch the hull. If that is the case it should be removed and thrown in the garbage.

The secret to a well balanced trailer and good hull support is that every roller touches.

Just for grins and giggles today I loosened my bow tie down and found my hull wiggled just like the OP's movie. Apparently enough flex in the trailer's frame to make the boat move. Once I tightened it back where it was supposed to be, no more wiggle.

Maybe it really is rocket science.

The bow roller is just to keep the hull from plowing into the trailer when loading and offloading - the bulk of the weight of your boat should be on the bunks, the hull rollers should just be touching the keel with minimal pressure when the weight of the boat is seated on the bunks and the bow roller 3 inches below the hull when the boat is fully loaded.

Keel rollers are for aligning the boat to the trailer when driving the boat on, bunks support the weight of the boat - that is what I learned

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The bow roller is just to keep the hull from plowing into the trailer when loading and offloading - the bulk of the weight of your boat should be on the bunks, the hull rollers should just be touching the keel with minimal pressure when the weight of the boat is seated on the bunks and the bow roller 3 inches below the hull when the boat is fully loaded.

Keel rollers are for aligning the boat to the trailer when driving the boat on, bunks support the weight of the boat - that is what I learned[/QUOTEThere are no bunks, or keel rollers on his trailer.

There are no bunks, or keel rollers on his trailer. Its an all roller trailer.

And what keeps the boat from hitting the winch? if the boat is not against the bow stop/roller?

Maybe you should post a few photos of your rig.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Keel rollers are for aligning the boat to the trailer when driving the boat on, bunks support the weight of the boat - that is what I learned

48 years ago when I bought my first boat it came with a book that said just the opposite of what you learned. But if you're happy, that's all that matters.

All I know is that when I launch and retreive my boat(s) people look at me in amazement about how easy it works.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
One thing that occurs to me is that the roller spindle arms do not seem to be able to swivel/rotate enough to accommodate the amount of "V" in the hull and it looks like most of the weight is being born on the rollers closest to the keel. .

I believe if he measures between the bow rollers with the boat on (the position they are in) and then checks the flexibility of the arrangement and ability to go into a deeper "V" when the boat is off, he will have the answer.

I HAD a very similar roller single axle trailer with the same count of rollers under our heavy 20' wellcraft when we bought it. Replaced it with a tandem bunk. What a difference! The junky roller trailer was not only bouncing all over the road, the boat took a beating with such few rollers.