Hydraulic disk brake trailer squeek

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought the boat and everything seems great on it. I did notice though that the driver side brake of the trailer seems to squeak when tongue initially collapses, but goes away once braking. Its not a good sounding squeak, but nothing terrible sounding either. The brakes seem to work fine and function properly. I cant imagine the pads being worn, but what kinds of things do I need to check/lube that might be related to this? Im going to take it apart tonight and see if I see anything abnormal.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
your situation may be different but one of the brakes on my tow vehicle was squeaking. I found the pad had come off of the backing and the squeak was from the wear indicator doing it's job.

bhollehday

Petty Officer 3rd Class
your situation may be different but one of the brakes on my tow vehicle was squeaking. I found the pad had come off of the backing and the squeak was from the wear indicator doing it's job.

Makes sense, but squealers usually squeal constantly when braking dont they? This is just an initial squeal when braking, but then goes away while breaking. Maybe pads are just old?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the caliper slides are lubricated and the calipers bled. Could be the backing on the pads is loose or corroded as well

ahicks

Captain
First, there's really nothing you can lube. If you take it apart and all seems well, there's some glue you can get from any auto parts supplier to glue the brake backing plate to the piston. That squeaking is actually a vibration between those 2 parts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take the brake pads out and clean out all the dust with a tootbrush. Better yet, just replace the pads while you have them off. Use a high temp brake grease and put a small amount on all the slide points including where the pads slide. Put a light coating where the caliper piston hits the back of the pad.

I use this stuff:
https://smile.amazon.com/Permatex-24...ake+pad+grease