Fix up the single or go for a tandem?

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recently purchased a 1989 Wellcraft 18 sport Center Console as a project boat. It came with a single axle trailer that needs work, but before I invest $400-500 into overhauling that one, I'm wondering if I should just buy a tandem axle trailer for it instead.

Gross weight of the boat and trailer is 2900lbs (according to the title). Would you be comfortable hauling that on a single axle?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but this is by far the heaviest boat I've owned.

ahicks

Captain
Many of us haul our boats twice a season, for a total of 20 miles or less (often much less). If you're going to be one of those, a trailer like that might work fine, as long as it's capable of supporting the boat properly. If you plan on a LOT of trailering, you might want a little more trailer than that, especially if you're planning on loading it up with a bunch of "stuff" when on the road...

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. Most of my trailering with this boat will be at least 2 hours each way, maybe 4-5 times a year. I've been looking at tandem axle trailers online but it seems like most of them are made for boats that are 22' or more.

Alumarine

Captain
I would be comfortable hauling 2900-3500 (including trailer) lbs with a trailer in good condition rated for 3500 lbs with good bearings and tires.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Tandems tow real nice, but are almost impossible to move around by hand. If you want to upgrade but stay with a single axle, EZLoader makes a 3700lb single

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
If you don't really need a tandem stick with the single. For your size and weight boat you are fine with the single axle. I don't see any advantage in your case going to a tandem. Also as someone already pointed out they are near impossible with a boat on to push around by hand. Then of course you have 4 tires to replace and 4 sets of bearings to deal with. You'll be just fine with a single axel.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Plus with 2 axles you are often required to have brakes on both of them

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Really appreciate the advice guys. I was planning to put new everything on this trailer so I guess I should be good. Thanks.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Keep in mind if you are up grading the single you can get a heavier duty axle & spring to match (ie 5200 lb 6 lug hub vs 3500 5 lug hub). This allows you to go from 10" to 12" brakes, 15" rims and tires that can be had in a 'D' load rating. While this doesn't increase the capacity of the trailer, it does give you a nice margin of safety in terms of the load capacity of the springs, axle, tires and brakes. I would not worry about a boat that size on a single. You can always carry 2 spares lol....

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Keep in mind if you are up grading the single you can get a heavier duty axle & spring to match (ie 5200 lb 6 lug hub vs 3500 5 lug hub). This allows you to go from 10" to 12" brakes, 15" rims and tires that can be had in a 'D' load rating. While this doesn't increase the capacity of the trailer, it does give you a nice margin of safety in terms of the load capacity of the springs, axle, tires and brakes. I would not worry about a boat that size on a single. You can always carry 2 spares lol....

The current axle is a 3500, in pretty good shape. That's not a bad idea though since I'm already replacing pretty much everything else.