Bearing issues...

MugFishing

Cadet
My wheels wasn't sitting as they should, so I jacked up my trailer to have a look.. Bearing failure if I had ever seen it. My question is when the spindle is not smooth to the touch, what to do? Repack new bearings and roll, replace spindle/axle, or just burn it and buy a new boat.. "joking".

The front side bearings were intact, but the rear had completely came apart into pieces. Any help as to my next steps from someone who knows what the implications might be if not done correctly... please reply.

Attachments

• photo276103.jpg
    photo276103.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo276104.jpg
    photo276104.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo276105.jpg
    photo276105.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when the bearing is that far gone from lack of maintenance, its time to replace the axle and hubs

at the least, mic up the bearing portion, buy a speedy sleeve for the seal area, and new bearings

if you dont do it correctly, the next bearings will fail as well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The inner bearing race, which is part of the inner bearing, is still stuck on the spindle. If it won't come off, new spindle or axle time. The surface the seal spins on doesn't look very healthy in the pic.

race.PNG

MugFishing

Cadet
Would buying a new spindle be just the same as buying the entire axle? Sorry for my inexperience in this matter, I am just trying to fix it the right way to not encounter the same issue soon. I will also need some advice to bearing buddies or bearing savers, which works the best in preventing premature damage.

Thanks for any and all advice given :)

alldodge

Staff member
You can replace just the spindle or the whole axle. The easiest is the axle but a good welder can replace just the spindle. In most cases the axle shipping will be the higher cost, but if you have a local trailer place, can just pick one up

MugFishing

Cadet
Anyone know where the best price I could maybe look up online? Its a 94' Tracker 17 pro boat trailer.. I guess Ill have to look up the exact axle I need

GA_Boater

Got a Northern Tool around? Look at their website for locations and measure your axle.

You need the end to end length, spring perch centers and if it's a straight or cambered axle.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Try removing the remainder of the race first, then a speedi sleeve along with new bearings might be fine

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nothing wrong with that shaft that a little TLC can't fix.

Take a grinder and cut across the stuck race at an angle the best you can. Then, wearing eye protection, take a cold chisel to it. It will either slid off or shatter.

A speedi-sleeve will fix the sealing surface for the grease seal.

bigdee

Commander
Nothing wrong with that shaft that a little TLC can't fix.

Take a grinder and cut across the stuck race at an angle the best you can. Then, wearing eye protection, take a cold chisel to it. It will either slid off or shatter.

A speedi-sleeve will fix the sealing surface for the grease seal.
^^^x2^^^ or quickly heat race just in one spot with torch and then use a punch or chisel to tap it off of spindle.

MugFishing

Cadet
No Title

I will most likely have to try to fix it. I went looking for an axle that I could just buy and replace, but I called bass pro shop since they sell the boats and trailer and got the news that they couldn't order one...... tractor supply didn't have the right size but still need to check out Northern Tool... but they aren't real close by.

The measurements I got are. Any have ideas where else I could look to find one?

Attachments

• photo276262.JPG
    photo276262.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276263.JPG
    photo276263.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276264.JPG
    photo276264.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 0

MugFishing

Cadet
No Title

Is the spindle in front of the race ground down, or is it an illusion? I see the spindle is an EZ lube. SO much for getting grease to the rear bearing.... That's "supposed" to be the best system.....]

To be honest, both sides look this way... Other posters have said the race is stuck on the spindle, if this is true.. both sides are stuck on it.

The second picture is the spindle pretty much carved up from the bearings failing. Both sides rear bearings failed, so the EZ lube just wasn't working properly for my set up....

Attachments

• photo276274.JPG
    photo276274.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo276275.JPG
    photo276275.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Both spindles do indeed have the remains of the inner bearing on them(blue arrow). The damaged area will weaken the spindle considerably(red arrow)
axle.jpg

GA_Boater

Too many think having Bearing Buddies or EZ-Lubes mean no bearing maintenance is needed. Seals still wear out and bearings do go bad.

My opinion is that Bearing Buddies and EZ-Lube systems cause more issues because owners think it's a grease it and forget it thing and it isn't.

The Northern Tool Axles I've looked at have their version of EZ-Lube called Fast Lube. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P-SalesRank|1

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would look for an axle..... Not sure if u looked at the link I provided to see if they had anything that would work.

My bro has an EZ lube system on his used snowmobile trailer. When he changed bearings he pumped grease into the fitting to see what would happen. Yep, nothing. No grease...