Trailer Bearings Are Different Sizes

spitfireap

Cadet
Apologies up front if I don't use the correct terminology. I'm learning to care for my first boat (and first trailer) and am unsure what's going on with the trailer bearings. One side sticks out quite a bit, the other doesn't. Everything else seems to be aligned an normal, so I'm at a loss as to what's going on. Any info would be helpful. I've included a couple of pics to clarify the situation. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo275661.jpg
    photo275661.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo275662.jpg
    photo275662.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your first picture is missing the bearing cap that is on your second picture. the second picture looks like a bearing buddy cap, however either the hub is covered in grease or dirt or something

before you even think of launching the boat. you need to service the trailer bearings and at a minimum replace the bearing cap

bigdee

Commander
That is not a bearing. It is a bearing-buddy and one is missing. Solution is replace with new bearing-buddies or dust caps. You also need to clean and repack the bearings on the side with the missing BB.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Seeing all the grease on the hubs, it's probably been a while since any bearing service other than squirting grease into the bearing buddy.

Both sides need bearings repacked and new seals, if not new bearings all the way around in addition to new caps or buddies.

spitfireap

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. It seems obvious now that the bearings need to be repacked. I'll probably just buy new ones and start from scratch.

Are there bearings specific for marine use, or are normal trailer bearings ok?

Last edited:

Rapio

Seaman
You should be dealing with bearings, seals and bearing caps or a type of bearing buddies. Take a sample of each to your auto parts supplier for match up. I'm not aware of any marine specific bearings, but lots of trailer owners have their favorite wheel bearing grease. Too numerous to mention here.

spitfireap

Cadet
Well, I went ahead and did the bearings today. Surprisingly, the side without the Bearing Buddy-type cover was in very good shape. I just re-packed it with new grease and reused it. The one with the cover, however had very watery grease in it. The bearings were rusty and worn down and the races were rusty and pitted. That side I completely replaced. This is my first attempt at redoing bearings like that and it wasn't too hard a deal. Thanks for the help.

Also, I bought some Reese Towpower copies of Bearing Buddies but couldn't get the things on. They seem to be just a hair too large, which makes them impossible to put on. Anybody had any success with these?

Last edited:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Did you replace both bearing components(cup and cone)?

Attachments

• photo275726.jpg
    photo275726.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Finger tighten the nuts to tight, then loosen one or two flats before inserting the cotter key. Wheel bearings on a trailer are best left to where you can grab the tire and feel a little play in and out, around an eighth of an inch play at the outside of the tire. If set tight, when going down the road they get warm, and the heat expands them, making them tighter, which makes them hotter, expanding more still, until they burn out. Rather quickly at that. So a little slop is best.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Now that the bearings are resolved, check your tire pressure and tire age. They look low and may be too old for use. Five years is the limit for trailer tires.