Repack or Replace? 1992 Four Winns Trailer

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings!

Boat is a 1992 Four Winns Horizon 190 with Factory Trailer. Last weekend when I was parking the boat in my yard I heard a loud "snap" I thought I ran over the kids bike at first. But then every rotation I will hear the tell tale POP, (but only when under a load)

I did the research on repacking the bearings.. doable but I don't have a bearing packer so I'm not super inclined to go this route.. especially when looking at the prices of the bearing hub assembly at like $40.00 -- Ironically I did the right front wheel bearing in my Silverado plow truck two weekend ago, easy job.

So two questions:

1. Is there any particular benefit to repack / replace : Other than Cost? -- Seems to me far easier to replace the hub/assembly

2. Does anyone know off hand which bearing is the right fit for this sucker? I'm leaning towards the 5 on 4.5inch 2,200lb with Inner bearing (L44649) and race, outer bearing (L44649)

Thanks!
-Pantz

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I always just replace the bearings and races in the hub. You have the added benefit of TRYING to get quality bearings that way. I try to stay with Timken if I have a choice although even they are often made overseas.

Pull the bearings and races and get the numbers off them and write them down for future reference. There are no shortcuts.

You can pack bearings by hand althought its way easier with a packer.

I use this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/Lisle-3455...qid=1504024815&sr=8-2&keywords=bearing+packer

I use this to tap in the races:
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-63261.html

Replacing the bearings and races also means you can use the grease of your choice instead of cleaning out the grease that comes with a hub.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
even if you bought new hubs and bearings, you need to repack. no need to buy a fancy packer. use a glob of grease in the palm of your hand and work it into the bearings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXLcbllwDM

your silverado has bolt-on hubs, anyone can do that. your trailer axles do not have bolt-on hubs. they have separate spindle/bearings/seal/hubs that need to be repacked

until you pull off your tire/wheel and hub and get to the bearing you wont know which bearing you need. your hubs are most likely 3500#. you also need a new grease seal.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
How do you know that the pop sound came from the wheels? I need to make tight turns backing my boat into my yard and as I turn my trailer makes pops as the frame twists and turns.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Aww c'mon..

anyone can replace a wheel hub? no need to be condescending. .. Does it help that I installed a new CV axle, and complete new brakes and rotors?

Anyone, what about these "ez lube" systems... doesn't that mean I just use a regular grease gun on the zerk and get the entire assembly greased up in 1 go?

Seriously though, thanks for the video, a lot of tedious messy steps but very easy to see how to do it.

I guess I need to get the bearings out and check for identification...

-Pantz

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Mike,

Good question..

after hearing the noise I took the boat down the driveway and heard the crack, pop, snap (whatever you call it) at the same rotation point each time; trailer was going in a straight line.

So I'm pretty sure it's bearing/axle/tire ...

Thanks for responding.

-Pantz

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Anyone, what about these "ez lube" systems... doesn't that mean I just use a regular grease gun on the zerk and get the entire assembly greased up in 1 go?
That does not pack the bearings. If you tried to do it that way with unpacked bearings, it's a crap shoot if you actually fill the bearing with grease.

If it's a new to you boat/trailer, you want to start out by pulling the wheels and checking the bearings anyway. At the same time you can inspect and replace as need be.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Bruce

It was new to me a few years ago.. I've done a lot of engine and interior work, but no trailer maintenance (I know.. bad)

I guess it's time to redo the bearings! I've learned a ton from this site so this will be another notch

I've ordered a bearing packer from amazon, I don't mind doing things by hand.. but I'm greased out at the moment. ;)

-Pantz

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Replacing the bearings and races is easy, even for someone not mechanically experienced. I've handpacked my bearings. Not hard, but a bit messy. I'm probably going to invest in a bearing packer, too.

Most auto part stores led out the kit to set races and seals. My local O'Reilly's had one and let me use it at no cost. The kit, while not essential, makes the job of setting the races and bearings even easier.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Put the races in the freezer before installing them. Makes it much easier to drive in.

Also, always replace the grease seal and always replace the race when you replace the bearing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Put the races in the freezer before installing them. Makes it much easier to drive in.

Also, always replace the grease seal and always replace the race when you replace the bearing.

race in the freezer, hub in the oven at 250 degrees, wait 20 mintues. the races just drop in

always replace the grease seal every time I inspect/repack (which is about once every 2 years).

as for any one changing wheel bearings, brakes, etc...... I keep forgetting, autos class is no longer a pre-requisite for graduating high school.

NYBo

Admiral
If the pop is coming from a bearing, repacking isn't going to fix it. Replace.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes I was hoping the info would be available rather than having to take them apart and then wait three more days for shipping :0

-Pantz

82rude

Rear Admiral
Once all is fixed buy a spare hub kit and you will never have to fix /replace ever again:D.My hub kit is on its second truck and 14 plus years and ive never had a hub /bearing issue yet.Same setup since 1994 never looked at bearings other than to pump grease into the hubs.Great luck so far..Personally for the minor cost of a hub assembly id just buy a unit and replace the whole shot,easy peasy.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Our vehicles all used to have front hubs that were just like trailer hubs/bearings be they drum or disc brakes. So those of us who started working on stuff back in the 70s have an easy time with trailers because we started with the same system. Anyone remember that nasty fibrous yellow bearing grease? And then there was the old school VW bearings that were ball bearings way back and instead of a washer, spindle nut, castellated nut and cotter pin, they had 2 nuts with a locking plate. You needed a really thin wrench to hold the inner nut to keep the adjustment while tightening the outer nut. A pain. Modern vehicles with unit bearings that are permanently lubed are less trouble in my experience.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recommend repacking your bearings t the end of every boating season, if any water did get in no reason to let it rust things all winter. I also like to pull the caps after the first couple launches in the spring to look for water.