Towing vehicle

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I currently tow my boat with a 2006 F150 125k miles, towing capacity of 9000lbs. Boat and trailer weight is around 7500 pounds with it loaded. Truck does ok pulling it to and from ramp but its getting stressed pretty bad while loading the boat. The truck will rock back and creaks everytime while loading the boat. So I started looking at the new F150 Eco boost with max towing, 12,200lbs and the F250 gas max towing of 12,500lbs. I would have no fear of pulling my boat with either but am I going to experience the same rock back and creaking with the new F150 when loading as I do with the old? Don't want to get F250 unless absolutely needed. Could save some money going with the F150 ecoboost.

Thoughts and opinions???

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Rocking and creaking isn't uncommon when you're getting closer to the tow rating, and depending on the boat, trailer, exact ramp, and your method of loading, it may or may not rock and creak a great deal.

​And at zero miles your current truck would probably rock and creak less than it does now.

​I wouldn't really be concerned about it if it was working well for me other than that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I say run your current truck until its dead

ZacUSNYR

Cadet
I use my 2015 F150 Ecoboost 3.5 (as configured 10,500 tow, 16,000 gcwr). Make sure you familiarize yourself with the setups/packages. I believe to get the 17,500 GCWR & 12k+ tow limit you need to be in a 3.73 gear equipped 157" wheel base super crew with a 3.5 Ecoboost.

My '15 tows like a complete animal. The Ecoboost is an amazing engine. I launch/retrieve a Regal 2665 (Boat is around 7500 pounds by itself). I motor the boat onto the trailer and the truck stands its ground fine. I always set the e-brake though.

Where i'm finding I want to upgrade is the rear suspension is awful loaded. I have the FX4 package which is suppose to have "off-road" shocks but they suck. The truck will wallow over bumps and gets a little unnerving. People on the F150 forums say air bags help out a lot. The general consensus is ford dropped 700+ weight from the new aluminum body trucks and softened the suspensions.

I've been eyeing Powerstroke Super Duties but I can't afford one right now. I'm going to do air bags and upgrade tires to LT. And at 22,500 miles, i'm already in need of brakes. General consensus is Ford has junk OE brakes when towing heavy.

Ecoboost drinks fuel while towing (like 8mpg), but unloaded I average around 20.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not really sure what you mean by rocking back and forth while loading the boat. Do you mean loading the boat on the trailer while it in the water? In any event with only 125000 miles on an 11 year old truck I'd keep it as long as you're not having mechanical problems with it. As far as "rocking" (and creaking) you may want to look at your suspension. Perhaps you need new shocks/struts, new heavier duty springs. A lot cheaper than a new truck.

Trim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the info guys. My truck is only a 4x2. I would imagine new/upgraded shocks and struts would help. I'm sure they are pretty worn out.

I've noticed there isn't much difference in price when considering the 3.5 Ecoboost and the F250. Makes me want to lean towards the F250 for added assurance.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What is rocking and creaking? Some movement back and forth is normal especially if you're not using your e-brake, which you should be because parking gear isn't really made for throwing that kind of weight against it IMO. I wouldn't worry about it if it's just the suspension squeaking and creaking when you put a load on/off it.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kind of sounds like you are looking for an excuse to buy something new. Run what you have into the ground and save cash. Better yet, take what you would pay every month if you were financing a new truck and throw it into a mutual fund. Depending on how young you are that will grow into the high 100 thousands or millions by retirement. If you already pay cash for this stuff, congrats.