Where's The Vin?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
some on the tongue, some on one of the rails, most are on a decal that fades over time.

ahicks

Captain
You can usually arrange for an inspection, done by local police. If they can't find anything either, you put your own number on it and register the trailer as a home built.

bigdee

Commander
I also live in NC. Do you own any other registered trailers? None of my trailers have a readable vin except a homemade one that has the numbers stamped on the tongue. I just move the registration plate to the trailer I'm using. Been stopped numerous times at checkpoints without a problem. All the state is interested in is revenue from a valid plate. Legal option is register it as home made and they will assign you a vin number that you stamp on the frame. When I done that (quite a few years ago)they loaned me the stamps and then came out in parking lot to verify it was stamped. They did not inspect trailer for lights,brakes, etc. They charge for all of this and estimate value so county can tax it every year.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Some manufactures put a hidden VIN number on a small sticker inside of the tongue tube. Look under your hitch and into the tube with a flashlight. If it's not got one and you know the numbers via an old registration or title then use Harbor Freight number/letter stamps and stamp the numbers onto the tongue or side of trailer. The registration folks don't care how it's marked as long as its permanently marked.