New tow rig -- ball mount height issue

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I got a new tow rig last night for my 17' fiberglass runabout (approx 2500 lbs GW including trailer). The tow hitch is about an inch higher than what was on my old rig and is class III instead of class II, so I need to buy a new ball mount and ball. The problem being is that the old ball mount had a 6" drop and so ideally the new ball mount should have a 7" drop, however there are no 7" drop ball mounts to be found. I can get a 7 3/4" drop locally from U-Haul or I've seen a 7 1/2" drop available online. Am I correct in thinking that it would be best to go with a larger drop than a shorter one (lots of 6" drops available)...it seems that extra 1/2"-3/4" won't make to much difference, or will it?

Thanks.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Doubt it will make any noticeable difference. For that matter, a 1" difference in that much of a drop would be negligible IMO.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

7" drop is a ton of drop - but if you get something adjustable you can set it where ever you like. Last hitch you will ever buy, mine is about 14 years old (I've got a 6" version)

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...ombo-ball.aspx

The wheels/tires on the trailer are only 13". It's an old trailer/boat...1972. Here is a pic I took yesterday showing how it would line up with the 7 inch drop. Short of reworking the trailer, or buying another one, not much I can do about it I am afraid.

Attachments

• photo274587.jpg
    photo274587.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
IF you have brakes, then yes you would want to tow level, or slightly inclined. From what I can see in your pic the trailer doesn't have brakes - correct?

If so, use the 6" drop and don't worry about it.

Ford huh (looks like the familiar blue oval back there)? Explorer??

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
IF you have brakes, then yes you would want to tow level, or slightly inclined. From what I can see in your pic the trailer doesn't have brakes - correct?

If so, use the 6" drop and don't worry about it.

Ford huh (looks like the familiar blue oval back there)? Explorer??

No brakes, and yes, a Ford Explorer. So, you think slightly inclined with the 6" drop would be better?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
am i missing something? Looks like on that there should be almost no drop??

Here is a close up of the hitch receiver in relation to the trailer tongue when the trailer is in the same vertical position as the pic above.

EXP2.jpg

briangcc

Commander
Not going to hurt anything towing at a slight incline. Those of us with surge brakes need to tow level or slightly inclined to avoid riding the trailer brakes and burning them up. Without brakes, non-issue...as long as it's not excessive and a 1" difference isn't excessive.

**Your safety cables look a tad rusted. Might consider replacing those.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok i think still think a 6" is too mkuch but i'm not htere.

I've got 15" wheen and two behind a Cummin dually and only have a 2" drop to ride level on mine.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I've got 15" wheen and two behind a Cummin dually and only have a 2" drop to ride level on mine.

In the pic showing the entire trailer, the bottom side of the trailer frame at one of the rear corners and the bottom side of the tube that the coupler attaches to are both the same distance from the ground, which I have to assume would be considered level.

ahicks

Captain
I think for our purposes here, it it "looks " level we can call it good. Agree there will be little gained by going too far out of your way to be spot on. The 6" sounds like it will be fine. Just watch the height of the ball itself and try to keep it to a minimum (yes there can be a good inch difference between different manf balls).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you think 6" is too little and 7" is just right, don't forget trailer tongue weight will drop the truck down. 6" may be just right and you won't know until you put weight on the ball.

Do change the safety cables, they need it.

fishrdan

Admiral
Here is a close up of the hitch receiver in relation to the trailer tongue when the trailer is in the same vertical position as the pic above.

Put the trailer on vehicle's hitch and see how much the rear suspension drops. I'm guessing it's going to go down several inches, requiring less of a hitch drop to maintain a level trailer. (On my Durango the rear suspension squats 2-3" with the trailer's weight. I use a straight tow bar in the low position.)

It may be an optical illusion, but from the pic the trailer looks nose-down. Measure from the ground to the bottom of the trailer frame, front and back, to level it out.

My guess is you need a straight tow bar........

How much tongue weight does the trailer have?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
If you think 6" is too little and 7" is just right, don't forget trailer tongue weight will drop the truck down. 6" may be just right and you won't know until you put weight on the ball.

Do change the safety cables, they need it.

:encouragement: Ordered!

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Put the trailer on vehicle's hitch and see how much the rear suspension drops. I'm guessing it's going to go down several inches, requiring less of a hitch drop to maintain a level trailer. (On my Durango the rear suspension squats 2-3" with the trailer's weight. I use a straight tow bar in the low position.)

It may be an optical illusion, but from the pic the trailer looks nose-down. Measure from the ground to the bottom of the trailer frame, front and back, to level it out.

My guess is you need a straight tow bar........

How much tongue weight does the trailer have?

I've never determined the tongue weight in the 45 years our family has owned the boat, but will try and do so this weekend.

fishrdan

Admiral
Tongue weight "should be" 7-10% of the trailer's weight, 150-300#? Not a huge issue figuring out the exact number, as long as it's in the ballpark..... If you can't dead lift the tongue, you're probably good....

Only reason I asked about tongue weight is to determine about how much the vehicle will drop when the trailer is connected, in case you don't have a tow bar yet. Have a person(s) sit on the back of the vehicle to simulate the trailer being attached.

Heck, borrow a tow bar from someone for testing, or just buy one and lower the trailer onto the bare tow bar to see where the trailer/vehicle sit, return if needed.

bassman284

Commander

I'm going to say it sounds about right to me. It looks a lot like my 2008 Grand Cherokee. It's one of those Hidden Hitch type receivers that mount up in the bumper and they're pretty high. My old 97 GC had the receiver mounted under the bumper and took a 2" drop. The 08 really needs a 6" but I could only find a 5 1/4 Walmart the day I brought it home so I went with that.

oldjeep

Admiral
Tongue weight "should be" 7-10% of the trailer's weight, 150-300#? Not a huge issue figuring out the exact number, as long as it's in the ballpark..... If you can't dead lift the tongue, you're probably good....

Only reason I asked about tongue weight is to determine about how much the vehicle will drop when the trailer is connected, in case you don't have a tow bar yet. Have a person(s) sit on the back of the vehicle to simulate the trailer being attached.

Heck, borrow a tow bar from someone for testing, or just buy one and lower the trailer onto the bare tow bar to see where the trailer/vehicle sit, return if needed.

I've always heard that 7-10% and have yet to ever own a trailer that puts that much load on the hitch or have a trailer that acts squirrely because it only has 5%

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Went out at lunch and picked up a 6" drop...after installing it, the measurement between the top of ball mount area is exactly what it was on my previous Explorer, so I think I'm all set. Thanks for everyone's input...much appreciated.

I also bought some new safety cables. :joyous: