New tow rig -- ball mount height issue

fishrdan

Admiral
I've always heard that 7-10% and have yet to ever own a trailer that puts that much load on the hitch or have a trailer that acts squirrely because it only has 5%

Agree, but I've seen some trailers with little to no tongue weight, even negative tongue weight when loaded improperly. Both caused issues.

I have side tracked this thread as tongue weight isn't vitally important. The OP needs to find out where the vehicle sits when the trailer is connected and select the proper tow bar.

EDIT: Which looks like it has been done... Happy boating!

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Agree, but I've seen some trailers with little to no tongue weight, even negative tongue weight when loaded improperly. Both caused issues.

I have side tracked this thread as tongue weight isn't vitally important. The OP needs to find out where the vehicle sits when the trailer is connected and select the proper tow bar.

EDIT: Which looks like it has been done... Happy boating!

I did not connect the trailer yet...hard to connect the trailer unless you have a tow bar to start with :lol: but I really think it will be fine with what I installed. The distance between the ball mount area and the ground on my previous Explorer and now this one, are exactly the same.

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to figure how that much drop is needed on these trucks? My Ram is lifted 7" on 37's and I only run a 7 3/4" drop, it's just slightly inclined. Those trailers must sit uber low?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
My trailer is level when the tongue is only about 14 inches off the ground, so yes, my trailer sits pretty low (13" wheels).

09TNRT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah mine sits much higher than that, I'd have to have 12" drop hitch to haul that around lol.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Just got back from a 400 mile round trip with the boat in tow using the new rig. Boat towed great with no issues.