Locking out an Atwood Surge Brake coupler

hangdogger512

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I am working on a Trailmaster trailer that has an Atwood surge brake system on it (drum). The whole thing is shot from poor maintenance... master cylinder, shock, push rod are all destroyed, and both brake shoe systems are rusted also. The cost to replace all the worn parts is over $200, which isn't worth it for a dated surge brake system IMO... so, I am planning update it to an electric brake system (etrailer, or TruRyde maybe?).

Though where I'd love some insight is... the coupler. The Atwood coupler is welded to the A-Frame neck... and now just freely pivots forward and back while driving/stopping since the surge system isn't functioning. This is definitely NOT good. But, rather than cutting off the coupler and welding a new one in place... I am thinking that I should be able to drill thru the coupler where the back-up pin locks in place (see pic), then just insert or weld in a large bolt. Does this make sense? Is there any reason why stopping that pivot wouldn't allow the coupler to act as a normal fixed system?

Attachments

• photo273703.jpg
    photo273703.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
In your case I would weld a new couple in, reason being is the coupler has a very poorly made latch coupler.

If you keep the coupler then recommend moving the lock into position to keep the coupler from moving, then weld the lock pin and the pivot bolt in place. I converted mine to electric but did not have that type coupler.

oldjeep

Admiral
If is like most couplers you just pull the pins and replace the mechanical guts. No need to cut the coupler case off.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i was lucky with my last trailer. I found a complete NOS Attwood coupler on craigslist about 20 miles from me. I agree with AllDodge, the Attwood coupler is not well designed.

regarding your trailer, it looks like the coupler body has been welded in as part of the trailer. it looks like someone shortened the tongue and move the coupler back and welded it in place.

we would need a few more pics, preferably from about 8-10 feet away.

BTW, nothing wrong with a properly maintained surge brake system. they operate as well as any properly maintained system, and fail as any non-maintained system does.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Scott Danforth;n10462456...and fail as any non-maintained system does.[/QUOTE said:
Had many magnet failures with my parent's 5th wheel. A guy on the RV forum I am on pulled a wheel and the magnet fell on the ground.

I would never have drum brakes on a trailer if I had a choice. Kodiac disc brakes!!!