I need to adjust some bunks to fit my boat to my trailer...

macnmore

Recruit
I purchased a boat and immediately got it in a high and dry storage facility. I've recently had to move out of the storage and picked up a trailer for my boat and it isn't a perfect fit. The trailer has 6 bunks, 2 in the bottom middle, 2 that should support the under side of the boat, and then 2 on the very sides just behind the wheels. Right now my boat is setting on the 2 in the bottom middle, but the next 2 bunks are too low and are not touching the boat. I've called some shops to see how much it would cost to have someone fix this so the boat doesn't wobble back and forth and have been quoted $500-$1000 dollars. The person I purchased the trailer from told me there are brackets you can buy that will allow me to adjust these bunks myself, and I've found some online, but not sure if they're all universal or if I need something specific. Right now I have the boat ratchet strapped tight so it's level on the trailer and there's roughly 3" between the bunks and the boat on both sides. My plan is to pick up the brackets, install them and adjust till they just touch the boat, launch the boat so I can then lift the brackets another 1/4"-1/2" to make things snug. Does this sound right? Am I going about this all wrong? I'm not a mechanic and this is my first boat.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard iboats
First things first. Is the trailer the correct size and does it have the required capacity to carry your boat. What make is the trailer? Is there no adjustability in the current bunk mounting? Can the existing bunks be shimmed to raise them?

does the bunk arrangement look something like this trailer? trailer.jpg

macnmore

Recruit
More similar to this one, except the 2nd set of bunks that aren't the bottom bunks run nearly the length of the trailer. My boat is 18.75' and the trailer is an 18' trailer. It sits on the trailer pretty nice length-wise. The weight capacity of the trailer is 6000lbs and my boat weighs 2300lbs. The trailer is a Bear trailer, 2006 that I got from a boat shop that used to to move boats around. The current bracket is welded on and not adjustable. I think I could put 4x4's on the outer bunk, but it might still be 1"-2" short of touching the boat. The other option would be to un-weld the lower bunks and drop them down about 3", but I'm not sure how to get exact, and if it needs to be 100% exact.
My trailer if very similar to this one:
http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/marine-trailer-accessories/images/bunkwraps/bunkwrapimagemain.jpg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Your trailer was a custom fit for a particular hull and thus not easy to modify. Myself, I would be cutting all the bunks and stands off and getting new brackets and only mount two bunks(2X6). Now about the 2300lb boat on a 6000lb trailer. First of all, you say the trailer is 18 ft, but your boat is 18 3/4 ft, Hmm, well I hope you're not letting the transom hang over the back of the bunks. Now about the 6000lb capacity I have never seen an 18ft boat weigh anywhere near 3 tons, even with 2 ex mother-in-laws onboard.

DSC_2870a.jpg SX195#7a.jpg

Last edited: