EZ Sleaves - Do I have to use em?

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a Shorelander trailer and the other day I'm looking on line at the parts list and they call out EZ Sleaves on each axel. Can't I just run the seal right on the axel shaft? I thought the EZ Sleave was used if your seal surface was compromised. Why would they use the sleave right out of the factory?
Last year in the spring when I got the rig I went through all 4 hubs, all had EZ Sleaves but they were super worn, some were worn through. So I just discarded the sleave and I'm running the seal right on the axel. Seems to be just fine at the moment.

I've been in a lot of trailer hubs and have never seen them used right out of the factory.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does your trailer use greased bearings, or the newer oil bath system? The sleaves are essential for the oil bath as spindle is too rough the seal will not last long without, and the oil leaks out and you can kiss the bearings goodbye. Grease tends to stay put a bit better, but worn seals will mean water getting in. If your trailer uses grease perhaps your trailer was assembled during the transition period from grease to oil
My 2005 EZ Loader axle has the sleaves on it too, as it was supposed to be oil bath, but I said I wanted greased bearings.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
shorelander uses UFP components. and yes, spend the $1 on the speedy sleeves from them. the spindle is undercut so that the stainless sleeve is required

TyeeMan

The trailer is a 1995 and the hubs are greased.

Hmm, very interesting. Ok, thanks for the info!! I'll be installing new pads, springs, etc on my brake axle so I guess I'll pick up 4 sleeves, 4 new seals and do all the hubs.

Thanks again!

TyeeMan

Scott, you mentioned that Shorelander uses UFP components. Could you further explain that please? Is that a brand of parts, good, bad, indifferent?

Thanks!

TyeeMan

Like I say, I've never seen them on an axel from the factory before. That being said, after work yesterday I stopped by the local dealer and picked up 4 sleeves and 4 brand new seals. Should be good to go.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I replaced them on my 1996 Shoreland'r a couple of years ago. Taking the old ones off isn't too hard but be careful not to damage the spindle. I took a sharp 1 inch chisel and a soft tap and it just popped wide open to slide off. After cleaning up the spindle surface underneath, just put a dab of red thread sealant on it before you slip the new ones on. It's best to have everything else ready to put the hub back on as soon as you do that so you can ensure the sleeve is positioned correctly.

TyeeMan

Actually that brings up a question. Does sealer, RTV, grease or otherwise need to be used between the sleeve and spindle?

Also, the inner bearing should keep the sleeve in place shouldn't it?

I think the ones I took off were original. They were so used that a couple of them came off in multiple rings. There was no sign of sealer etc between the sleeve and the spindle.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Actually that brings up a question. Does sealer, RTV, grease or otherwise need to be used between the sleeve and spindle?

Also, the inner bearing should keep the sleeve in place shouldn't it?

I think the ones I took off were original. They were so used that a couple of them came off in multiple rings. There was no sign of sealer etc between the sleeve and the spindle.

Speedi-Seal recommends the use of non-hardening Permatex.

Properly sized and machined, you'll need to cut the sleeve off to replace.