Boat trailer spindle removal

stormyj

Seaman Apprentice
Any idea on how to remove these spindles from this torsion axle? I can buy a new axle for about $250 but need to wait 3 weeks. Thanks for the help. I would post pics here, but website wont let me. Here are the links.
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/JustAnotherConcernedCitizen/20170801_145602_zps024gfegz.jpg
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/JustAnotherConcernedCitizen/20170801_145559_zpsgbygizoh.jpg
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/JustAnotherConcernedCitizen/20170801_145556_zpsorp3qroc.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
those spindles are welded to the axle and that is not a torsion axle. that axle has a leaf spring purch.

if you want to remove them, your going to need a torch

if you want to replace them you will need a torch, welder, welding fixture and a large hydraulic press to straighten after welding.

stormyj

Seaman Apprentice
So what your saying is, $250 isn't a bad deal. I thought it might be an easy fix. Guess I thought wrong. Guess I will wait for the axle. Err

alldodge

Staff member
Yep, fixed one like it years ago on my car trailer. Use a ban saw (I used portable hand type) to cut it off at the weld. If yours was flush welded like mine was, the pipe will be clean. Then get another spindle which has more shoulder and drive it into the pipe and weld it up. If you get the flush type then it will still work but you have to make sure its square with the face of the pipe opening

20170801_145559_zpsgbygizoh.jpg

stormyj

Seaman Apprentice
Heres another question. The axle is bent in the center I would imagine to provide clearance for the boat. I have plenty of clearance. Can I replace this one with a straight axle.

alldodge

Staff member
Heres another question. The axle is bent in the center I would imagine to provide clearance for the boat. I have plenty of clearance. Can I replace this one with a straight axle.

Sure but keep in mind that the boats bow may go a bit deeper when loading and unloading

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
The bend in the axle sets the toe in and camber and not tire clearance. If you put a perfectly straight axle in you should take it to a good alignment shop and have it aligned or you may tear the tires off it.

ahicks

Captain
Agree with Hemi. I don't think you can buy a perfectly straight axle. They'll all be slightly arched.

I'd make a few calls regarding a new axle. Getting a new one with perches installed where you want them and the correct length is not hard - and generally nowhere near 250. I'd order it with hubs to fit your wheels too.That will save you from figuring out all that a piece at a time. You'll find that ordering it complete with hub can save you quite a bit of money as well.

Check this outfit out. Been a while, but I've bought from them without issue on several occasions without issue.
http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/axles/

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to see the pis, but there are straight axles on car, horse, utility and other trailers which have straight axles. Also have a boat and watercraft trailer which have straight axles. Not saying that the bending of an axles doesn't have its place or purpose, just noting that they don't have to be bent to achieve alignment necessary to work

ahicks

Captain
From Dexter Axle: "Axles are cambered or 'road set' so there is a bow until weight is put on the axle. All cambered axles should be mounted with the center bow up."

That's why you don't just "flip" an axle to adjust trailer ride height.

I would add that in my experience (20 years as an RV service manger), that bow may not be real visible when the axle is loaded to capacity, but a straight edge will generally prove it's there.