ez loader spring bushings

jdhgcb

Seaman
working on an ez loader with the "C" style slipper springs. my question is how tight should the bushings fit in the eye end of the spring? Ive got new bushing but they seem too loose. the springs to not appear to be very worn but with as loose as the bushings are, I am questioning it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a piece of nylon tube shoved in a hot-rolled spring eye. your going to have some slop

jdhgcb

Seaman
its a piece of nylon tube shoved in a hot-rolled spring eye. your going to have some slop

thats what I was wondering, they don't seem to have wasted too much time on the engineering stage of this setup. they are so loose that the bushings would just fall out on their own if I tilt the spring to the side, I'm wondering how long these will last with them slapping around in there over each bump in the road. I've already done a bunch of custom work to the trailer to get it to fit my boat just right. I wonder if it would be best to upgrade to a set of new springs and weld on hangers instead of these bolt on things the trailer came with.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they work quite well considering 95% of the trailers in the world never see maintenance

jdhgcb

Seaman
maybe i'll assemble with the factory parts and see what happens. here is a shot of whats been done so far. frame was lengthened 27" to accomodate
boat.

ijwyWFN.jpg

1AyIRfo.jpg

jdhgcb

Seaman
thanks for the replies, I found a knowledgeable guy at a local trailer shop (hard to find these days). The knowledgeable guy, not the local trailer shop! any way, to anwer my own question and to help anyone reading, the bushings should fit snugly. not so much that require a serious hammering to get in, but some resistance. so a minute or two in the shop press got the eyes back into shape and the bushings fitting corectly. as far as the slipper end, I imagine the slop to be correct so I left it alone.