dually v single tongue wieght

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
When I rebuilt the trailer a few years back I had a 1 tom Dodge single rear axle. Never felt funny towing. Now on my dually Ram i feel a bit 'off'. Would the feel be form a reduced downward force on the hitch due to the extra wheels?

I can slip the bow stop forward about 4" really easily.

alldodge

Staff member
Probably doesn't sit at the same height, might need to drop the hitch a bit more. Duallys don't sway as much because of the wider stance. Could also be from the way the suspension is setup on the new truck. Exp my 2000 road like a buck board, the 2008 rides much smoother

ahicks

Captain
With a truck like that, there's not much harm in trying something as simple as moving the winch stand forward to see if it changes anything.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Tandem or single, the hitch height will make a difference due to weight transfer.
Mike

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok i will move forward - FYI the hitch height is within an inch of the old one. First time I backed up I only had to crank up 2 turns

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Have you measured your tongue weight? Don't go adjusting anything until you do, as there is such a thing as too much tongue weight. Your truck will handle it without a problem, but you could be stressing the trailer in areas it isn't meant to be. (those long beams between the axle and the tongue? Ever see how much they can flex?)

ahicks

Captain
We're only talking 4". I doubt that's going to stress anything beyond design limits. Assuming the bow is against the stop, it's not like the trailer frame is going to be flexing much.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
No I have not weighed. I've never worried about too much due to having the one ton and it always felt fine. This is the first time I've ever pulled and it felt a bit wonky

Not that it has a huge effect, but I also strap the boat by the eye to the trailer with a heavy duty web strap - not for flex but to keep it from bouncing at the bow stop.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
there seems to be something my wife has told be in the past that relates to this, but can't quite remember what that was. hmmm...

Anyway, a couple inches makes a big difference.

nothing wonky on the drive to the late now. Nothing above 60ish mph so still need a hwy test.