In the market for a new tow vehicle

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I am in the market for a new vehicle to tow by 17' fiberglass runabout that weighs about 2200 lbs. Currently, I use an '05 Ford Explorer with the V6 4.0L engine. I do tow my boat into the Sierras (as high as 6,200 feet) a few times a year. I am leaning towards another SUV of some kind and am wondering if the new Ford Explorers with the 2.3L engine would be sufficient? According to the specs, it has more HP than the V6 in my '05 and more torque. Comments?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ford is still using the turbo pinto motor?

the turbo will help with elevation. however ignoring the motor, what is the towing capacity

your current boat, motor, trailer, etc. is well over 2200# the boat empty will weigh 2200#, add #1000 for a trailer, #300 for fuel #200 for misc stuff and your pushing #3700

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I may have overstated the boat's weight as it's likely to be under 2000#, but you bring up good points...thanks. From the Ford specs about the 2017 towing capacities:
For trailers over 2,000 pounds and under 3,000 pounds
with 2.3L EcoBoost engine ? Class II Trailer Tow Package

For trailers over 2,000 pounds and under 5,000 pounds
with 3.5L and 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engines ? Class III Trailer
Tow Package​

I have towed with a class II hitch/receiver flawlessly for the past 10 years, but it sounds like I should look for one with the 3.5L

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
believe me, you are most likely understating the weight. I work for a company that makes cranes that lift small boats onto yachts. 100% of the small boat weight out there is underestimated. a brand new 15' boston whaler with a 60hp motor is 1600# a new 17' yellowfin with a 115hp outboard is 1900# (the yellowfin weighs 2.2X what their literature states for just the empty hull)

you have a 30+ year old boat with a volvo I/O. your probably closer to 2500#

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Just remember.. Just because a vehicle has a #5000lb towing capacity doesn't mean its a good idea to tow a #4500lb load around all day... This is definitely a case where I feel a lot better having a decent margin. I used to have a Toyota Highlander that had a towing capacity of #4000lbs which technically my 20' stingray was under, however, I went out and bought a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder which has a capacity of #7000lbs... Even then, I feel like I am straining it a bit... Especially in the braking department...

That being said, for a boat that size, I would actually recommend the Pathfinders (I'm partial to the Japanese vehicles)... But the caveat is, the newest ones changed to a car frame, instead of a true body on frame like the body style I have.

dmichaud2

Cadet
The Ford "ecoboost" engines are great for towing, the low end torque they provide make pulling the extra weight feel easy. I am pulling around a roughly 4000lb boat with a F150 and the 3.5 ecoboost. It is overkill for that trailer but it does feel solid and safe even in the mountains here in CO.

The ratio of trailer size/weight compared to the vehicle make all the difference in the world when it comes to safety. For any type of regular downhill and or highway towing I personally would want my trailer to be no more than 75% of the trucks rated towing capacity.

Tinman2809

Cadet
My 17 explorer sport with the 3.5 ecoboost pulls my 19foot Mariah with 20 foot trailer with out issue....i assume the combined weight is around 4k. I would much rather a body on frame truck but hey I can't complain

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I sure would not want a 2.3 EcoBoost in an Explorer :(. Get the 3.5 or the 3.5 EcoBoost :)

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for your responses. Last week I bought a 2017 Explorer Limited with the 3.5L V6. Seems to have plenty of power so I think it will be fine. Surely has more power than the '05 Explorer 4.0 V6 with 135K miles that I traded in.