Gas/Diesel Comparison

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I replaced my 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3L 6-speed, 3.42 rear end with a 2014 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L diesel 6-Speed Allison, 3.73 rear end. Both trucks factory equipped with typical tow package. One of my boats is a 5,000lb on trailer Sea Ray cuddy. The 1500 pulled it just fine, but with the 2500, it's like the boat isn't even there. The truck is just loafing. Towing over same route at 60mph, mileage on the 1500 was 12mpg; the 2500 is 16mpg. I bought the new truck to tow a 10,500lb on trailer Ranger Tug. I've got a long-distance tow coming up in a couple weeks. We'll how it handles that challenge.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im guessing mileage on the diesel empty is about 17 or 18.

and no, it doesnt really know its there, does it.

alldodge

Staff member
You will know the Tug is back there but it will pull it just fine.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Will pull the 10,500 pounds just fine. Have you done research on "disabling" some of the emmision systems in your new diesel truck? Worth it if you're in a state that doesn't do emmision testing on diesel cars.

Your engine will enjoy the clean air vs recirculating exhaust air.

four winns 214

im guessing mileage on the diesel empty is about 17 or 18.
On the highway empty, I'm seeing 19-21mpg at 65-70mph. Around town, 16-18mpg. I keep up with mpg religiously. Driving technique has A LOT of influence on mpg. I find if I have to get on the pedal for whatever reason, it shows up at the pump.

four winns 214

Update: Long-distance tow Oshkosh, WI to Louisville, KY (490 miles) towing same boat at 65mph-- a shade over 16mpg.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Man...I would love to stay in North America, where the above figures are considered good, haha.
Different world.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I used to own a LR Discovery 3....surely one of, if not the best tow car in the world. She would do up to 30mpg towing my boat on a run. Would average 30mpg overall without towing and would get about 37-40mpg on a run without towing. A simple remap and a manual gearbox. Best car I ever had....once the usual LR issues were dealt with and would pull anything up a slipway without even the use of the throttle pedal.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Also an incredible machine in the serious snow on mountain tracks. Unbeatable.

alldodge

Staff member
That's an apples and oranges comparison. The LR tow capacity is less then 8K, the 2500 is 13K. Don't know what year the Discovery was but its showing 21 to 26 mph, or are you talking KpL

NYBo

Admiral
That's an apples and oranges comparison. The LR tow capacity is less then 8K, the 2500 is 13K. Don't know what year the Discovery was but its showing 21 to 26 mph, or are you talking KpL

Maybe miles per Imperial gallon?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hey Alldodge.
You may be thinking of a different machine.
Or perhaps the V8 petrol version ?
The official figures for the discovery 3 manual turbo diesel 2.7l V6, show a combined mpg figure of 30.7 or something.
After I had it remapped, it managed just that and more.
It can tow 3500kgs and obviously much more gross vehicle train weight. That is the absolute legal maximum here in uk and likely Europe too. Any more and you need a truck hgv lorry license.
Not totally familiar with the vehicles over there, but the discovery I had weighed around 3000kgs...making it a a great tow car. General rule in my book is that the the tow vehicle is best being heavier than the thing you are towing.
All the best.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Just had a look at the Silverado 2500 there. Looks like a monster, but I'd be confident that it wouldn't pull the boat up the ramp the same way a discovery would. Surely there isn't a finer machine at doing that ?

I like driving the diesels, don't like fixing them. I can rebuild a complete gas engine for what a turbo or set of injectors is worth on a diesel. I work at a heavy duty truck/trailer shop and nobody drives a diesel as their personal vehicle. I've owned several diesels and I'm done with them now. For me the biggest issue is the transmission, I stick with the manual transmissions because I can't stand autos that want to shift all over the place and with a stick shift I can deal with having a bit less power.