Transom Saver Question

Sammy K

Cadet
I know most (if not all) transom savers require power tilt to lower the motor to a point where they hold each other firmly in place. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried the following. I have a manual tilt Honda that has two shallow water tilt positions. If I were to raise the motor to the full tilt position (beyond the shallow water stops), then put the tilt/run lever to the run position and lower motor to a point that the transom saver supports the full weight of the motor, just above one of the shallow water stops and then put the tilt/run lever back to the tilt position. My thoughts are that if the transom saver ever were to break or fail in some way the motor could only drop down slightly before being held by the shallow water stops. Should this work or am I missing something? Thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Use a bungee cord or a ratchet strap to hold the motor to the transom saver.

Sammy K

Cadet
Hi flyingscott, Do you mean to use bungee cords/ straps and let the motor rest one of the tilt stops that provides the best angle? Or go with my my original idea and add the bungees and straps? Regards

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sammy K, use a bungee cord to hold the engine against the transom saver when travailing. It will keep the engine from bouncing around and keep everything secured as well. Transom savers work by keeping the constant bounce of the engine from working on the transom. Ever little bounce has an effect that the transom would otherwise have to absorb. So if you stop those actions, you save the integrity of the transom as well. I realize there are those that say if the transom if built solid, it can handle those bounces. But I am of the persuasion that if you can control the bounces from happening, then the transom doesn't have to handle the bounces and therefore lasts longer. JMHO

Sammy K

Cadet
Thanks, I'll go with the bungee cord and use one of the shallow water stops on the tilt mechanism that provides the best ground clearance and doesn't raise the motor too high. I have a long shatft outboard and I must have the motor raised.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The only thing your motor should be resting on is the transom saver adjust it to the right height and go. The transom saver is designed to hold the motor up to whatever height you need to trailer it at.

Sammy K

Cadet
flyingscott, Ok thanks. That makes it easier because I noticed a lot of the transom savers comes with predrilled holes and unless I totally lucked out I'd more than likely have to drill one that match the length needed for using one of the shallow water stops.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Transom savers are great for supporting the engine where there are no Hydraulics or any solid locking system holding the engine rigid. Used where the engine is already immobilized on the transom any shifting(especially fore and aft) of the boat on the trailer will place a large amount of stress on the transom.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't worry about the "stops" on the motor. Adjust the transom saver to the length you need to get the motor weight off the transom and ratchet strap it. The motor stops do not need to be engaged, that's what you're paying the transom saver to do... To hold the weight of the motor so it's not acting like a lever on the transom.