Leaf Spring Help

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I need some help with understanding leaf springs. I changed the leaf springs on my boat trailer because the rear of my trailer was very low. At first I thought it was the ball up front but when I made adjustments to that the ball the rear of the trailer stayed the same. So I decided to change the leaf springs it made no difference on the height of the trailer. I even tried to put the leaf spring on top of the axle and it rose the trailer so high it was almost up to my waist. So that was no good. I guess my question about leaf springs is, is it the more leaves you have the more lift you have or the less leafs you have the more lift you have. Also I tried to match up the old leaf springs with the new leaf springs I don't know if those are the correct leaf springs I have 4 leafs. I'm going to try to shoot some pictures... but I need to get this rear end up. Any help will be appreciated
thank you, mav6759

Attachments

• photo269675.jpg
    photo269675.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269676.jpg
    photo269676.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269677.jpg
    photo269677.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269678.jpg
    photo269678.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo269679.jpg
    photo269679.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Put longer shackles on the springs at the rear end of the springs.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I tried to go with longer shackles in the front and the rear. And that didn't do anything

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
You have a dropped axle. I would go with a straight axle. Changing to a heavier spring isn't going to lift it but a small amount. I also changed out mine as I was dragging the deep gutters as such.

Last edited:

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I tried to go with longer shackles in the front and the rear. And that didn't do anything

This statement does not make sense.
Post a picture of the rear end of the springs.
If your trailer has 'slipper springs, then you cannot put a shackle on the rear.

Since the front has a non-movable shackle, you cannot put an extension on that end either.
Usually the front if the fixed point, and the rear of the spring move to allow flex.
I think at some point someone replaced a straight axle with the dropped version.

Does the axle hit the frame on potholes?
Do the tires rub in the fender wells?

The lug nuts look incorrect.
The bottom plates on the springs look upside down.

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looked at your pics again.I think it would be a simple matter to mount the springs on TOP of the axle .since the axle is square .JMO

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looked at your pics again.I think it would be a simple matter to mount the springs on TOP of the axle .since the axle is square .JMO

That would add some clearance for the tires. Speaking of which, ditch the tires, which are passenger car tires and replace them with Trailer Tires.
Looks like one wheel is mounted backwards and some bolts or studs and nuts are missing

SOG3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That would add some clearance for the tires. Speaking of which, ditch the tires, which are passenger car tires and replace them with Trailer Tires.
Looks like one wheel is mounted backwards and some bolts or studs and nuts are missing
Jimmbo,you're right, that wheel in the first pic is bass ackward ! Lol !

bigdee

Commander
Longer shackles is the only fix for this. If your buying new springs choose them by weight load.

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes scary stuff on all accounts listed above. The lower spring plate has been over torqued to DEATH! Me, I would acquire some box tubing of proper dimensions, Cut the spring mounts off the frame, make 2 or 3 inch spacers and weld the mounts back on.