Anyone Regularly Tow a 26-28' Bowrider?

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just like the topic says, does anyone regularly tow a 26-28' bowrider? I currently trailer a 23' Monterey every week in the summer on a tandem axle trailer with surge brakes, unfortunately there are not any good options close by that have a marina or lake house option. The next boat will likely be a Cobalt 262 or 272, regardless it will not exceed an 8'6" beam because I do not want to deal with oversize load issues. I'm not worried about my truck, it's a 2013 Ecoboost F150 with every tow option including the mirrors, 3.73 rear end, and upgraded cooling. I also have a number of performance upgrades and load range E tires, so the extra weight won't be a problem. I'm more interested in the reality of going from a 23' to a 26-28', and if it will be significantly more cumbersome to tow. Typical lake trip is 45 min and mostly rural, though different lakes do sometimes take us through cities. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Last edited:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I sometimes tow 26` Chaparral, I`m guessing about 8K total weight with trailer. At first I towed it with a half ton Silverado, not good. That truck struggled pulling the load uphill and I felt that I would eventually burn up the transmission. I sold the half ton and bought a 3/4 Duramax, a world of difference. I can now pass people going uphill.

If I had to tow your load with a half ton, it would be with the Eco boost like you have. I think for moderate tows like you mentioned, you will be fine. Your truck should handle it. I would make sure that the trailer brakes are working well though.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Think about what you do now and decide how much difference you will have if you are like 6 to 8 foot longer. Pulling into gas stations, food places for example. For 20 years I pulled around a 20 footer. It was a lot easier pulling that in and out of gas pumps and other busy parking lots verses a 28 footer. Common sense and thinking ahead just a little more. The extra weight speaks for itself. Just common sense again. It will stress the truck more than the 23. SHort trips to the local lake not really noticable. 3 or 4 hundred miles it will strees you more.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have pulled up to a 31ft Fountain Center Console with a Ford F150 (and a Chevy Z71) Mine was a few years older and had the 5.4L engine but the Eco Boost is as good or better. My boat was in the 9500lb range and I did add a leaf spring "helper" to keep it from squatting. Towing was never an issue. I had to cross a few tall bridges in my area which caused the transmission to drop down to 3rd gear most of the time but other than that, it was fine. MPG was not good, but you have to expect that if you're going to tow at or near your max limit. However, stopping the load was my biggest concern. I good set of trailer brakes is a must! I think you will be fine. If I went on a longer trip, I'd wait to get gas (200 gallons) until I was close to the boat ramp when possible. Other than that, I had no issues. I wouldn't worry to much about getting in and out of places. Wherever you went with the 23ft boat will probably be just fine for 28ft since you were already relegated to large parking areas and pull through gas stations. Get your toy and have some fun!

George C

Recruit
First, I am no rookie at this... I've loaded and launched a ton of times.
I am coming from a 2003 Chaparral Sunesta 233 with a Shorelandr trailer.
I ordered and just took delivery of a 2017 Cobalt R7, along with ordering a custom built Loadmaster 31' overall length trailer with all of the bells and whistles. I sprung for the electric over hydraulic Kodiak disc brakes because of the extra weight. Tows like a dream with my 2500HD.

The issues i encountered was loading the much larger and heavier boat. My first load was a bear. Windy, wavy and a real tough on me, my wife and son. The Chap was a snap in any condition. The Cobalt is a big, tall boat..This one took about three loading experiences before I figured out the right trailer depth, and a solid plan that worked for this boat and trailer.
IMO, towing down the road is about brakes, not power. Also respect the fact that your next boat won't load as easily as your old boat until you get some experience doing it..

SeattleSlim

Cadet
I pull a 2007 Regal 2450 Cuddy (4500 lbs) with a 2016 Sierra Denali. I pulled it over the Cascades to pick it up, and have been pulling it in and out of my local boat launch. No problems or power issues to speak of.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My brother had a partner on his 26' Formula who towed it with his Tahoe for short trips only. If you are only going 45 minutes, no issue at all.

For you, you will not notice the length at all...just the weight.

TRH299

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Matt! Was just randomly searching this forum as I just bought a used boat and of course it needs a few things. Saw "onewhippedpuppy" and instantly knew it had to be you. lol Tim Hancock from PelicanParts Porsche forums.

ahicks

Captain
I've been pulling pontoon boats all over creation for the last 30 years or so. Not heavy for the most part, but about as bulky as you can get, and they pull like a parachute.

I agree with others that say you shouldn't see a lot of difference, but I can see where you might have to be more selective when it comes to ramps. Some may become pretty tight to maneuver, and steep approaches might affect you more. In any case, I'm sure you know you'll get used to whatever it takes. Just don't allow yourself to be rushed or flustered if something gets sideways. Cool unrushed heads ALWAYS prevail!