Bow Stop Options

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
so here is a picture of the winch post and bow stop I have on my new to me trailer. I am setting up my Lowe 2070 to fit on it, and it looks like a need different geometry to fit the bow stop so it stops on the eye ring of the boat. does anyone know of a bow stop piece that would fit based on this picture and hole locations of the part that would hold the bow stop..... I figure some people just have more experience and sources. in this picture the bow is actually a little HIGHER than Id like it...ie the boat is just leaving the front of the bunks, vertically!!..... so I need a bow stop to engage the boat in this position. thanks BOB

Attachments

• photo268847.jpg
    photo268847.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2

oldjeep

Admiral
Wrap the strap on in reverse so that it feeds from the bottom of the winch

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Wrap the strap on in reverse so that it feeds from the bottom of the winch

im looking to get the bow stop rubber to be up against the bow eye when the boat is at the same position.... so changing the strap would do nothing to that extent.....any more motion on the strap make the boat ride up higher and higher on the bow stop rubber.....something I don't want..

what I may do is just redrill a new hole on the bow stop mount, so it points towards the boat more...let it pivot on the forward hole and drop down till the rubber reaches the Bow eye and then redrill!!!..... cob job...but essentially works

Maclin

Admiral
Got any pics from the side so we can see where the stern stops, and how it fits on the bunks at this angle? If the trailer is up far enough now, and the bunks are formed nicely against the hull, then I think I would work on relocating the bow roller mount down to meet the bow ring.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It looks like the 4 bolts holding the winch/roller bracket can lower the bracket to do what you want.

winchpost.PNG

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
yeah no pics there yet, but the end of the transom is still 9" away from the end of the bunk!..... so the boat needs to move forward as does the winch post.... that doesn't matter at this point I needed to adjust the height and shape of the bow stop... the boat will only slide forward or back...its NOT going to go verticlally.... it has to stay on the bunks...so the bow stop has to move down! but I have decided to just redrill the bow stop bracket...that's the easiest.... eventually ill have to move the wheels forward because the tounge will be too heavy once the boat moves9" forward..... but the torsion axles are EASY to move..... thanks

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
It looks like the 4 bolts holding the winch/roller bracket can lower the bracket to do what you want.

that bracket with the four bolts circled are loose in the picture and that bracket is ALL the way down...it CANT GO LOWER!!!!!!!!!!

GA_Boater

What's holding it up?

Will you stop with the shouting?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Pic is quite dark so we can't see what might be keeping the winch arm from being able to be moved down any...

But if that's true, then maybe you could try this (see attached pic)...flip the strap to the bottom of the winch as suggested earlier (red line), move the winch arm up (blue arrow) until the winch strap is level (dotted red line), drill new holes in the bowstop bracket (about where the green x is), so that the bowstop can be levered down (orange curved arrow) to meet the top of the boweye.

Winch.jpg

Attachments

• Winch.jpg
    Winch.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1

Maclin

Admiral
Sounds like the entire post (blue arrow part in ajgraz pic) needs to go forward then adjustments made.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, I was just coming back to edit / add, this will probably require you to move the whole winchstand forward a bit, which it sounds like you were planning on anyway.

EDIT: also it just occurred to me, if what is keeping you from moving the winch arm down is the length of your winch handle, maybe you could get a shorter one.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Pic is quite dark so we can't see what might be keeping the winch arm from being able to be moved down any...

But if that's true, then maybe you could try this (see attached pic)...flip the strap to the bottom of the winch as suggested earlier (red line), move the winch arm up (blue arrow) until the winch strap is level (dotted red line), drill new holes in the bowstop bracket (about where the green x is), so that the bowstop can be levered down (orange curved arrow) to meet the top of the boweye.

I like it, I had planned to drill the new hole, I never gave the path of the strap much thought..... its just a slight angle and with the line out 5ft or so, it wouldn't have any effect....its certainly not going to lift the boat! until the bow angle hits the bow stop.... but I want that to happen at the same time it just about hits the Bow EYE.....

as it is when I installed the brand new winch it seemed odd and it was because the strap was wrapped the opposite I am used to!!.... so ill probably undo the strap and re wrap like you suggest.

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Yes, I was just coming back to edit / add, this will probably require you to move the whole winchstand forward a bit, which it sounds like you were planning on anyway.

EDIT: also it just occurred to me, if what is keeping you from moving the winch arm down is the length of your winch handle, maybe you could get a shorter one.

no its a brace that helps steady the winch stand..... it goes straihght down while the rectangle of the winch stand is slanted .... and I don't have a problem moving the winch stand, the only reason not to is if I would consider a swing away tounge..... the most important features are nor having any hull hang off the back of the bunks and having the proper tounge weight!!!!

GA_Boater

no its a brace that helps steady the winch stand..... it goes straihght down while the rectangle of the winch stand is slanted

The lower right bolt in your dark photo can't be removed and the bracket lowered to straddle the brace?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The lower right bolt in your dark photo can't be removed and the bracket lowered to straddle the brace?

actuall...it might be able to!... there is a gap between the winch post and that brace..... ... but im thinking if I did that.. and didn't alter the bracket the bow stp is on, then my strap would be at a steeper angle.... even coming off the top!....I have tomorrow off, so ill take a look at that before I drill a new hole in the bow stop bracket

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Nah, I think if you can manage to move the winch arm down a few inches and do nothing else, your strap angle will be perfect!

GA_Boater

The strap will be straighter until the bracket is lowered enough to make the strap point up hill - Then you need to eyeball to see if an under or over strap wrap is best. And the bracket doesn't need to be lowered all that much to rest the roller on the bow eye.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
No Title

so I got it all worked out, no drilling... moved the winch post forward, THEN BACWARD!, dropped the winch mount.... fits great... love the torsion spring axles.... the boat is about 5" lower than last trailer...which means the truck is no where near the water when launching or retrieving... this is going to help A LOT for those beach and dirt bank "ramps" we launch on once in a while!

Attachments

• photo269166.jpg
    photo269166.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

So the front bracket bolts straddle the brace now?

Got a fairly straight winch strap and nicely snugged roller and bow eye now?

Sound like you're ready to go.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
the first winch was brand new a seachoice, and what a POS it was...$65....took it right back and installed the 20 year old Fulton 2 speed from my wrecked trailer... which has a cable and no a strap..... I have to lift the roller under the keel and Im all done

bob