New tow vehicle for a fairly new to us boat

JasonB

Lieutenant
The boat is a Lowe 2200 Aluminum deck on its original single axle trailer with surge brakes (completely rebuilt the brakes last year). It's a lot like a pontoon top on a 22'x8' v-hull jon boat. I had it weighed a few weeks ago and with about a half tank of fuel, it came in at 3540 lbs and the tongue was 260, so 7.5%. Last year, we towed this just fine with a 2001 Expedition 2wd. This year, we will tow with a 2007 Mountaineer V8 2WD. I took it for a short test tow today. The Mountaineer has plenty of power, but it doesn't feel right. At 60-70mph, there is no sway, but a lane change feels a little uneasy, like sway could start. I had the same feeling when I towed it once behind an XC90 we had for a while. ​After getting it back home, I rechecked the ball height and I think I may have been a couple inches low. I also feel like the tongue weight may be a little low?

I towed a heavy 19' bowrider on a tandem axle trailer for years behind the Expy, and towed this boat a few times last year, but this is my first go with a smaller tow vehicle. The Expy has a 119 wheelbase and a 64" track width. The Mountaineer 114" Wheelbase and a 62" track. A little shorter wheelbase, but otherwise not a huge difference. The Expy does ride a smidge lower and has wider/lower profile tires plus the Mounty has the IRS rear end. I know this is a long boat, esp. for a single axle trailer. I think a couple adjustments are needed, but it seems much more noticeable with the Mounty? Anyone experience this when downsizing a bit or have a take on adjustments to make? I would like to bump the axle back a couple inches, but I would likely need to extent the hard brake lines. My gut says experiment with getting the boat level and maybe add some tongue weight. Would prefer to do by moving the axle back a bit, but that may require extending the hard brake lines.

On a positive note, the Mountaineer has much better pulling power than the Expy.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wouldn't worry about it. Each vehicle will tow differently. Just enjoy the boat.

NHGuy

Captain
Raise your tow vehicle tire pressures. Move weight around (to the front?) of the boat. Make sure the tow vehicle suspension is perfect and tires too. Does the tow vehicle have self leveling? Measure how much it drops when the trailer is on there. Move stuff from the tow vehicle to the boat to keep the tow vehicle rear suspension at an optimized height.
Mountaineers are not as truck like as Expeditions, but those are some no cost moves that could get you some improvement.

JasonB

Lieutenant
Just a follow up for anyone in the same boat down the road.... After weighing, I found the total load to be 3540lbs with a 260lb tongue weight, or right at 7%. Finally tired of feeling like the trailer was on ice, I moved the axle back 3 inches and it was a huge improvement. I can't move the winch post as the boat is already close to the truck. I'll likely slide it back one more inch or so as there is still a little tendency to sway. Looks like this combo works better with more weight on the tongue. Props to Shorelander as the set up on this trailer alloys you to move the axle without reworking brake tube or wiring.