Ideas towing a boat without bow loop?

AlphaJustin

Seaman
I need to relocate my new to me boat and it doesn't have the front eyelet that boats have for the trailer winch to connect to is there a tried and true way to trailer it without that? I think I'm going to wrap 10k straps around the stern and have them meet at the bow then hook the winch to it. Any reason that won't work? Thank you I need to move it Monday June 26th.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what kind of boat doesnt have a bow eye?

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might be setting yourself up for roadside check and big fine from the DOT man. I know here they can pull a private party for towing an unsafe load. I've received a ticket here for lack of a hitch pin towing a 5x8 with a mower on it. DOT and the police can be brutal here and they really keep an eye on trailers. I couldn't chance that here. DOT fine and then a tow bill for getting the trailer off the highway.

Last edited:

AlphaJustin

Seaman
Its a 72 Trojan they weren't built with an eye... I can completely understand unsafe towing being an issue no one wants to be hit by someone elses load but there has to be a way to do it safely that's why I asked.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
how big is the boat? is it a 26' or a 31'.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Trojan_Yachts/bp/20br1516

the Trojans are considered yachts, and are not trailered boats. they are hauled/transported and you need a permit because they all are over 102"wide.

I suggest you start calling around to get it transported

AlphaJustin

Seaman
25 actually only 6500lbs a completely legitimate load for highway.

NY only requires permits over 30' long and or 10' wide it's only 112" so 9 and a half feet.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
25 actually only 6500lbs a completely legitimate load for highway.

NY only requires permits over 30' long and or 10' wide it's only 112" so 9 and a half feet.

Better check again, as far as I can tell, as of June 2017, limit is 8.5ft max towed width not 9.5ft max.

And another source lists NY as an 8ft max, but that might mean NY city rather then state.

AlphaJustin

Seaman
I will look into it further but if that's the case then my other boat is too big now too.

AlphaJustin

Seaman
Yeah I actually found the law I will need a permit thanks for the heads up last time I checked it was 10 feer still doesn't help me with securing it to the trailer but will make me tow my other boat less too now.