can i set the thick bunk right on the crossmember?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
so I just picked up an aluminum Loadrite trailer..it has a huge thick bunk board... I want to have my boat sit as low as possible, so I can launch in the shallow unimproved ramps I often use. right now it looks like there is three settings on the brackets...but id like to ask here.... the bunk is taller than it is wide, but I want to flip it 90 degrees so it sets even lower, and I want the carpeted bunk to sit right on the crossmember....the only issue I can think of is if all the cross members(3) are on the same plane, so I anot supported by the single big through bolt, and corrosion from water sitting in the carpet against the galvanized crossmember.....it looks like for the few setting choices they utilize a small diameter cross bolt UNDER the bunk board as well as the big bolt THROUGH the bunk board

Attachments

• photo268576.jpg
    photo268576.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my opinion - its not worth the extra work for the boat to sit 2" lower. I would just back in a bit further

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bob, if you are up for the work involved, yes, you can set the bunk flat on the cross member(s). But I would remove the carpet off the bottom between the cross member and the wood. That way it would drain and dry out after use a lot quicker. I mean if that is what YOU really want to do, go for it. It is your trailer after all. JMHO

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm guessin' the axle might have a conflict with the bunk at full spring compression,.....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
yeah this boat is launched in some shallow ramps and EVERYTHING I can do to keep the truck from getting in the salt water, helps!! there are a few ramps I use that my rear whells of the truck are 1/4 way under water just to get the boat OFF the trailer.....any combination that get the boat lower will help...and 2" is huge. Bondo: ill look at the axle travel they are torsion spring axles..... I can imagine they travel far in use....

Maclin

Admiral
How big is the boat, just seems like a tilt trailer would fit the bill, maybe add rollers or roller-bunks.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
tilt trailers are nice, but I just bought this dual axle aluminum trailer......so tilt is out for now....but this trailers bunks are already 3 " below the old trailer and it looks like I can go down another 2'......I unbolted all the bunks today and am picking up new bolts tomorrow

Maclin

Admiral
I know, but you were looking for a trailer when you found that one, eh? :D