Redoing bunks got questions

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to have to redo my bunks. One the bolts are rusted through and two more importantly last time out as we were putting the pontoon back on from the ramp we busted one bunk off the trailer. I have read some posts and I think I am going to do like I read about cutting down the 4x4 vinyl post protectors and cover the 2x4's with them instead of carpet like there is now on them. Would that be okay for a pontoon and the length of it. 24fter.
My question and concern is how the inside bunks are setup. It was this way when I bought the boat 4 years ago and assumed that it was suppose to be like it is but being under it more lately I think its not right. I have some pics attached.
When the boat is on the bunks the inside small ones don't touch the boat. I assumed they were that way to help catch it if it slipped off. but i don't think that any more. Are they needed and should be moved to were they are touching or couple inches off the toon logs ? Or not needed. I have looked at other trailers with toons on them and haven't seen any setups like this one.
Thanks

Attachments

• all small bunks.jpg
    all small bunks.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 1
  • missing bunk.jpg
    missing bunk.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
  • crop of small bunks.jpg
    crop of small bunks.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1
  • missing bunk 2.jpg
    missing bunk 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1
  • other side small bunks.jpg
    other side small bunks.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The small "bunks" are guides, my Party Cruiser trailer has them, and that's how they're supposed to be. They just help get the logs over the main bunks.

-- until they don't. This is what happens when they don't...

holeinlog1.jpg

This happened one day when loading. Didn't want to winch up, so I had the wife keep backing down until it would. Finally it did. Little did I know the top of the guides were below the logs, and the boat drifted sideways out back about a foot. I had the wife pull forward, then it happened. I heard a 'kaWhump', then watched the boat drop, then heard the 'glug glug glug' of the log filling with water.

After I had the hole fixe those pieces of #### guides came off the trailer, and I fabbed some post guides for OUTside the boat. I did leave the front ones on, as they'll never get too deep in the water. The rear guides work, but they need to be mounted higher so they can't poke holes in your logs!

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the explanation and the warning. I have never really paid attention to those little ones but I will now for sure !!!
Now I will worry about puncturing holes in mine. Sigh this hypochondriac mentality of mine crap sucks. lol

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you do decide to use carpet and staples, get the arrow Monel stapels. its the only true rust-proof staple out there. about $22 per box from amazon