Waterproof dust caps

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I find my EZ lube axle is letting water in after submerged. I think its getting past the little rubber cap.

Can I switch to the solid dust cover to make it more waterproof? I don't mind removing it to add grease.

What other options are there to make it more sealed from water?

canvas.png

Maclin

Admiral
Are you sure the water is getting ion from the front? Mine seem pretty water tight. I popped for new covers with extra rubber caps when I did my axle refurb recently. I also got the tool to install them, that made them go on SO easy with one hit and no distorting, still look pristine. If the covers had to be coaxed on by tapping around the edges they may not be sealing well around the outside

Maybe get new caps and try the tool too. That should make for a water tight seal at the depth you are launching at.

Mine after treating myself to new chrome lug nuts...:

WP_20170409_003.jpg

Pic of the tool...: grease cap install tool.png

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I am a big fan of the Bearing Buddy bearing protection system with their rubber "bras." They allow for easy greasing without doing anything more than pulling of the rubber cap, and I've never had water get into my bearing. Not expensive either, and easy to install. Just my thoughts.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Which EZ Lube type do you have, the spindle Zerk or the one with the fitting on the back of the hub?

The old style cap may not clear the Zerk fitting if you have the fitting in the spindle end. EZ Lube replacement dust caps are available as well as the rubber cap by itself.

Is there grease splatter on the inside of the wheel? The seal may be the cause.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
mine are like Mac's. rubber.. seal pretty well when greased up... dont think you will ever stop all water...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have to change those rubber covers fairly often if they are in the sun. They are very inexpensive.

Thalasso

Commander
Don't be backing the trailer in the water as soon as you get there. Let the bearings cool down. You shouldn't get much if any water in doing it this way.
Hot/warm bearings will draw cold water in

bigdee

Commander
Even with a good dust cap water usually enters through the seals. The seals are made and placed in a position to keep grease in. The seal lips are somewhat directional. When vacuum develops inside hub it can easily suck water across seal lips. The best way to alleviate this is to install bearing buddies since the spring loaded piston controls negative (and positive) pressure.

Maclin

Admiral
Double lip seals are called for in hubs for boat trailers, not all go that route though.

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i added a rubber bra to mine

All great suggestions. Thanks everyone.

This is exactly what I started doing now. I added a bearing buddy bra in in conjunction with the rubber plugs. The bra fits so snug, I doubt any water will get in now.

I was also thinking of small bead of silicone around the cap flange before tapping it in. Let it dry and then pump in grease.

Also. My zerk fitting is in the front center, not back.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
All great suggestions. Thanks everyone.

This is exactly what I started doing now. I added a bearing buddy bra in in conjunction with the rubber plugs. The bra fits so snug, I doubt any water will get in now.

I was also thinking of small bead of silicone around the cap flange before tapping it in. Let it dry and then pump in grease.

Also. My zerk fitting is in the front center, not back.

i used a wire tie, i flush the hub yearly

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I change the plugs every year, they crack really fast in the sun. They're only like 70 cents a piece.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
My thoughts are there is too much air in the hub. When the warm hub cools in the water the rapid cooling of the air will cause water to be sucked in past the seal.
Mike