SIngle light out- all connectors on truck/trailer have current

searay540

Recruit
Right Tail light/blinker is out when trailer is hooked up to truck. I tested the plug on the truck and all leads work. Used a battery pack to test all leads on the trailer, and everything lit up normally, INCLUDING Right tail light/ blinker. HOWEVER, when I plug the trailer to the truck, the Right tail light blinker doesn't work. All other functions/lights on the trailer work fine. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

ahicks

Captain
Since the hot wires are likely the same in both scenarios, I'd be looking for a ground issue - OR - just make a new ground connection for the connectors on both the truck and trailer sides.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
clean the connections at the plug, somthing is not making a circuit their maibie plug on truck or trailer dont match, or have been bent or damaged, it dont cost much and aint to hard to just replace both truck and trailer plugs with a nice new macthing set

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
As mxcobra mentioned, take some sand paper to the male ends on the truck and trailer plug. I do that to mine now and then.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Just 'tuned' up my wiring for a boating adventure tomorrow.
By brake lights would not light-up.
I have the six pin connector.
The pins are a simple round connector with a slit in it, to make it springy.
I had to use knife to spread the pin slightly, making it tighter in the female socket of the trailer plug.

Good to go for another week or so.
I'm going to invent bluetooth wireless trailer lights!

rothfm

Ensign
Grounding....Not sure how your setup. But I removed any grounds at the launch end of the trailer, directly ran new wires from each side, to the Winch post, and ground there. Havent had issues sense-stays more corrosion free.

Start of every season, I open up that ground, clean it, and seal it up.