Hull Protection from Steel Trailer Bunks

Eclipse95

Recruit
I have a galvanized trailer with four bunks (two forward, two aft) and keel rollers to take the weight of the boat (26'). The bunks themselves are galvanized steel, about 5 feet each in length, 3" wide, 3/8" thick. There was a plastic or composite material on the bunks (about 1/2" thick) to protect the fiberglass hull and it is now breaking away leaving the hull to sit directly on the steel bunk.

What sort of material should I be considering to put on these bunks to replace the plastic? Wood over the top with carpet or something else? The steel bunk takes the weight so this would just be to protect the hull. Thanks for your ideas!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

Wood is cheap, easy to work with, and easy to find.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would probably not use wood. How old is the trailer now? How long has the plastic lasted? I have plastic(actually a composite) strip on traditional carpeted wooden bunks. The trailer is 9 years old and the strips are showing wear. I plan to replace the wood, carpet, and strips next year.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Wood and carpet or new bunk slicks. The slicks are avail here on iboats

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you decide o do, do it sooner then later. Once the hull drags against the steel, you are then repairing the hull before changing the bunks. JMHO

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
EZ Slides are the best thing since EZLoader invented the all roller trailer. They are UHMW pads that simply screw on to the bunks. Probably similar to what was already on there.

Eclipse95

Recruit
Bumping to add some photos of the bunks and the material that was on there. Any idea what this stuff is? It's 1/2 in thick, 3 in across. Thanks!