Expert opinions: Backing into tight spot

FlyGuy65

Cadet
Have a SeaRay 21SPX (dual axle trailer) with Toyota Sequoia tow vehicle. Measured lengths of 25' from prop to hitch, and 18' of Sequoia. Newly shortened distance of 50 feet from fence to storage unit door, leaving 7' extra. Expert opinions: can this be backed into the storage unit, or am I wasting time trying? I can drive it out in one motion, but have been too unskilled to put it back w/o unhitching and pushing by hand. Is there some rule of thumb for space required to back into storage unit?

Thanks!

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Yup. It can be done. Practice makes perfect when it comes to backing up trailers.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
It can be done. The easiest way would be to put a front hitch on your truck. Pull up to the unit on the side. Unhook trailer and switch to front hitch. Maneuver it in the door. I do that with my boat as I have a tight spot to go around a tree and into the carport.
Backing in will be possible as you have 7' to play with.

ahicks

Captain
Back to your left so you can best see what's going on.
You could put some cheaters on the pavement to give you a hand as well. Get some 2" masking tape and place it on the pavement where your trailer is tracking as you back. Move them around as desired. When you have them where you want them, replace with a little squirt of yellow spray paint.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
It can be done but no matter what it's going to be a problem and difficult. As mentioned a front hitch would make it a little easier. You could also consider getting an electric boat trailer dolly. They aren't cheap but one of those would make it easy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used to back my boat into storage unit where the door was 4" wider than the boat.

So with a bit of practice, you will be fine

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Get it in the storage unit.
Then as you are pulling hit out, mark the position of the trailer tires on the ground with chalk or tape.
Pull ahead 5', get out and mark the tire position, repeat until the truck and trailer are out and straight.

Now you know your starting position and the arc your trailer tires need to follow to get back into the storage.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
^^^ This helped me a lot. That and lots of practice.

Best advice I got was to back up very slowly. Gives you time to correct things if the trailer isn't going where you want.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yep, no speed backing here! Take your time, it's not like being at the landing where folks get ticked off if you take 5 seconds too long.

Know how much space you have between your trailer fenders and the door frame. As previously stated, back to your left so you can see the relation of your trailer fender to the door frame.
Let's say you have 4 inches clearance on each side of your trailer fender to the door frame. If you can see your left fender, favor the left door frame that way it's a given that you will have plenty of room between your right fender and door frame.

The other thing I do is I have a yellow wheel chock that I back the rear (2 axles) trailer tire up against as my boat fits in my garage literally by a few inches.
If I can see that the yellow wheel chock is in line with my trailer tire, I'm good to go.

Just thought of this. Go to Home Depot or wherever and by yellow some caution tape. Stick that to the floor on the left side of the boat and use that as your guide. If you don't deviate from the caution tape you'r home free.

For fact, I'm gonna get some of that today for my garage!

photogmkr

Seaman Apprentice
Just thought of this. Go to Home Depot or wherever and by yellow some caution tape. Stick that to the floor on the left side of the boat and use that as your guide. If you don't deviate from the caution tape you'r home free.

For fact, I'm gonna get some of that today for my garage!

That is a great idea! I just rented my first storage space for my boat and I'll be using it for the first time this weekend. Thankfully I'll have a little over a foot of clearance but I'll be implementing your idea for sure.

FlyGuy65

Cadet
Update: Experienced neighbor showed me how. Back up at about 45 degree angle and then pivot to straighten out. Could even knock off another 10 feet. Not the large graceful turn I was attempting, nor hugging the far fence line. I did a lot of measuring, marking, and internet research, but the trick was watching someone else back a much bigger rig into the same spot, followed by his coaching me!

Fed

Commander
Large graceful turns usually run out of room, need to start closer to the door then jack knife & chase.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Is the approach flat? If so, you can use a regular (no motor) $45 HF trailer dolly.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
As others have said take it slow and easy. A few years ago a friend took this video of me backing my boat. I have about 8" on the starboard side and 18" on the port side. The guy in the white tee shirt is my spoter watching my blind spot. I now have a pickup that makes it more interesting, I also have a black line on the ground to help guide me, as long as the tire is on the line I'm ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-8myDNfcU8

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Update: Experienced neighbor showed me how. Back up at about 45 degree angle and then pivot to straighten out. Could even knock off another 10 feet. Not the large graceful turn I was attempting, nor hugging the far fence line. I did a lot of measuring, marking, and internet research, but the trick was watching someone else back a much bigger rig into the same spot, followed by his coaching me!

Good to hear...
I was going to suggest sidewalk chalk (if concrete), mark the ground as you pull out, then backing in, you steer the trailer tire to stay on the line.