Trailer turn signals not working only when braking?

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have never had a trailer that did this. Normally when you have the turn signal on, that light flashes even if you put your foot on the brake. The other light, at the same time, just gets brighter when the brake is applied like normal.

Hope that makes sense now.

Last edited:

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your 97 4 runner has a separate turn signal, and a separate brake light, your trailer probably has 1 light on each side, which are combination lights. 1 filament for turn/brake and 1 filament for running lights. To- use a flat 4 prong plug with your vehicles tail lights you need to a have a trailer conversion module installed in the vehicles wiring. If you follow the wires back from the 4 prong plug on the vehicle you should find a module/box. If it has one already installed, it must of gone bad, or if you do not have 1 installed, then you need 1. Basically, your brake light feeds power back to the turn signal switch, and stops it from flashing.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The symptoms are normal for bad white (ground) between trailer's lights and the electronic device added to the tow vehicle to convert for the flat 4 trailer connector.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your 97 4 runner has a separate turn signal, and a separate brake light, your trailer probably has 1 light on each side, which are combination lights. 1 filament for turn/brake and 1 filament for running lights. To- use a flat 4 prong plug with your vehicles tail lights you need to a have a trailer conversion module installed in the vehicles wiring. If you follow the wires back from the 4 prong plug on the vehicle you should find a module/box. If it has one already installed, it must of gone bad, or if you do not have 1 installed, then you need 1. Basically, your brake light feeds power back to the turn signal switch, and stops it from flashing.

I think you are correct. My 4R definitely has different bulbs for the turn lights. I remember having to install one of those on my 98 bonneville because it had separate turn lights.

Just ordered one, I think that is the problem.

thegipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just thought I should close out this post. I removed the old wiring from my 4runner and found that it did have a converter module from the factory (toyota brand) but it must have failed. I installed the one I ordered online and it works like it should again.

Thanks for the help everyone.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Whoever thought of those amber rear turn signals needs to be taken behind the wood shed, They sure aren't visible from a distance during daylight(just about torpedoed a SVU on the highway today with a amber turn signal), lens was about 1/4 the size of the red brake light