should the boat rest entirely on the bunks ?

danintruder

Seaman
when i release the winch i can see the bow lowering so the winch is suporting some of the weight ! is that normal on a 1997 stratos bassboat hull with a stratos trailer made by easyloader that came with the boat ? i am not shure i want to leave it like that. should the bunks (4) support all the weight ?

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Is the winch adjustable? Can it be lowered slightly on the frame to which it is mounted? I don't know the answer for certain, but it seems like you would want the boat's weight on the bunks and not having the winch and eyelet on the boat supporting the weight of the boat. No sure though...just my 2 cents.

danintruder

Seaman
No Title

it is the trailer that came with the boat when bought new. and always been that way. but i need to know if i modify it so that there is no weight on the winch or some. please

Attachments

• photo254298.jpg
    photo254298.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254299.jpg
    photo254299.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo267910.jpg
    photo267910.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • photo267911.jpg
    photo267911.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
You might want to try and get a look at the bow/winch connection while driving.
I'll bet it goes up and down as the trailer flexes, rear hitch goes up and down for potholes, etc.

I suspect a little weight on winch is good to maintain contact between the rubber roller and the bow, versus slapping it if there was no tension there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How many keel rollers and where are they? Maybe a couple of pics showing the bottom and rollers.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
The bunks should support all the weight. From what I can see everything looks good. Your winch tower doesn't look like it has any height adjustment, and your bow eye seems to line up properly...Are you winching it up too tight pulling the bow slightly up?

danintruder

Seaman
no keel rollers are contacting the hull, it rests on the 4 bunks,no i do not winch too tight,one of the problem on steep ramp the boat rools down because of the hinge, it is a patented bow winch hinged roller mount ,by easy loader that follows the boat down so not to hang under the bow i think ! not shure if its that helpful ,and you answered my question ! so even without the winch and post the boat should sit at the best position and the winch should be in a straight line to the eye .i have to modify the higed mount so that it doesen't move to install a drotto latch . thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
fetch
It might be simple to add a small plate to that spring stop so it sits lower to the roller. You could try a small plate welded to the stop on the roller support.

danintruder

Seaman
did a lot of work trying to fit the latch yesterday and its the frame that is flexing when winching and will have to modify the winch post for repositioning and cancelling the hinge and it will work with some tought and time thanks for your help.