Brakes stuck on trailer

Disschord

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a boat on a trailer but the previous owner left the hand brake on and the brakes have locked on.

The boat and trailer are in a hard local to me but once I get the bits and pieces sorted on the boat I will be sea trialing her.
Any tips for releasing the brakes

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im guessing drum brakes

I am also going to guess, not adjusted properly and the piston is extended too far and wedged, or the piston is now in a section of bore with corrosion.

your going to have to get a puller, and pull the drum off and have a look.

most likely you will need to replace the wheel cylinders at a minimum. more likely the whole backing plate assembly (just a tad more than the wheel cylinder) you may just need to adjust everything.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I would loosen the adjusters all the way loose before using the puller.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Yup -- loosen the adjusters (if they aren't frozen as well) then try to back up with a short jerk. If that doesn't work open the bleeders to release brake pressure and try the quick back-up again. Otherwise, with pressure released, wheel off the ground, get your #9 BMF mall and rap the back of the brake assembly.

AgnotGt

Seaman
Disschord,

If none of those work you might try this old trick. I can't remember where I read about it but it worked for me. Flood the inside of the brake drum area with water; yes water. Force it in thru the adjuster opening. Apparently it expands the rust and brakes the adhesion between the brake shoes and the drums.

My case: Ford F600 front wheel frozen solid. I tried every thing. Got the adjuster backed off but still wouldn't free up. Heating, beating, dragging, 7 foot pry bar and nothing. Water did the trick. Don't use oil or liquid wrench ect. That will expand the shoe material and make the problem worse....

Hopefully yours aren't as bad as mine was. Best of luck freeing yours up!

Glenn