Made a winch strap pulley

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had trouble pulling the boat onto the bunks on shallow ramps. I've tried the silicone trick which helps a little but not enough. I always dunk the bunks to assist is friction. Anyways, I saw this in the store and thought it would be perfect for those situations.

No real modifications to it really. Just removed one bolt. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it will work perfectly, doubling my winch power. Will keep you posted.
358C5E4D-6613-4F22-B6F8-0A59018A3B2A_zps8feddpev.jpg

11691139-B74E-495C-A00A-F8B7BE1E430B_zpsfvohged3.jpg

B0518BF0-9FA0-4EEF-BCAA-09D3232D895A_zps6gvmfn8n.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
It should work twice as good so long as your strap is long enough, you now have a 2:1 ratio so you need twice as mush as before

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It will make pulling the boat on the trailer easier, but it will take more turns of the winch handle for that to happen. It is basically a leverage setup. A lot of winches and come-a-longs use that same principle to allow more weight pulling capability, but as with so many things, it will pull more weight but with less length of pull capability as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would have gotten a 2-speed winch where you have your choice of ratios depending on which post you put the handle on.

the minimum bend radius for the nylon strap while being tensioned over a sheave is like 1-1-2". pulling around the small pin will eventually fatigue the winch strap.

http://www.iboats.com/Dutton-Lainson...iew_id.1082652

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Cool solution, but why not just back the trailer in deeper when the winch starts to strain? When I winch my 6000 lb boat onto my bunk trailer, if it gets hard enough to require shifting the 2-speed winch into low gear, I find that simply backing the trailer in a couple of feet will dramatically reduce the load on the winch at let me get the boat to the bow stop with ease and without having to shift the winch. Adds about 15 seconds to the process.

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks all. I actually have a 2 speed winch and its set to the lower gear ratio. It definitely helps most of the time.

My problem is when I use really shallow ramps or a beach turned into a ramp I cant back down any deeper and need extra pulling power.

This pulley is really to keep in the truck in case I need it.

Maclin

Admiral
Where is the detach point, looks like some hardware stays on the bow ring?

Maclin

Admiral
"This pulley is really to keep in the truck in case I need it. "

Ok, I see the truth of it, only used in particular situations, cool.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks all. I actually have a 2 speed winch and its set to the lower gear ratio. It definitely helps most of the time.

My problem is when I use really shallow ramps or a beach turned into a ramp I cant back down any deeper and need extra pulling power.

This pulley is really to keep in the truck in case I need it.

If you need that with a two speed winch, you may want to re-think using it. That's a massive amount of stress you are putting on the bow eye and maybe a bunk trailer is just not the best solution for your boat and ramp. Perhaps consider roller bunks.

fishrdan

Admiral
Need some type of bearing surface on the cross bolt, the strap rides on. That much pressure, friction and heat isn't going to be good for the strap. Maybe a greased piece of metal tube covering the bolt?

Also, if the boat is riding up on the trailer ****-eyed, I could see the strap folding over and bunching up.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Put EZSlides on the bunks and you'll think you have a roller trailer.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
maybe a roller trailer would be better suited to your needs