Need help with axle on Trailstar trailor

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 Tracker Pro team 185 with a 90hp mercury on it. I need help with the axle on the Trailstar trailor. I don't have any info on it and the service guy at Bass Pro still hasn't called me back. I am trying to find what the original axle is. Looking for what weight it was, if it was straight or curved, and a good place to get a replacement. Any info will be helpful as i have nothing at the moment. Thanks all.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Eric123, try places like Tractor Supply and Northern Tools for trailer axles. The carry lots of different types and sizes and can easily help you find one for your trailer. If you don't have such places close to you, you can do a web search for trailer parts and see what they have as well. There are lots of such places and you can talk with them and get exactly what you need. JMHO

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
What's wrong with your axle that it needs replacing?. Axles are rarely unique. You can look at your axle to answer most of your questions. Stand well back from your trailer, squat down and look at the axle. If the axle has an upward bow it is a cambered axle. However if the trailer is heavily loaded the axle may appear straight. You measure the distance between spring perches to establish that dimension. You remove a wheel and measure the spindle diameter where the inner and outer bearings ride. That trailer very likely has a 3500# axle and if you physically check the axle you may find a tag spot welded to the axle indicating it's rating.. The only other dimension you need is end to end. (Measure it.)

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the responses. My tires are wearing on the inside edge of both sides and looking at my axle with the boat on it, it looks to have a sag in it. I pulled the boat last weekend for 2.5 hours and the bears never got hot, they were warm to the touch. I have also jacked each side up and checked for wobble in the bearings, they were tight. Just wondering if anyone knew what the axle weight i should look for and if i need straight or cambered shaft?

Alumarine

Captain
If you know what bearings it uses you should be able to figure out the capacity of the axle.

If you take a straight edge and check your axle that will help.

Eric123

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the help and info. But i am trying to find out what originally was on my trailer. The axle is sagging with the boat on it and straight with it off. But the boat and trailer has had 2 other owners before me, so i am not sure if it is the original axle under it now. And BPS, even though they sell them, can't seem to get any info back to me on it. So i am really looking for if anyone knows what axle was originally on it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Why put a straight axle back on if it is already sagging with the current load. Have you determined if the load is too heavy for the trailer. Have you looked at the tongue for a tag that indicates GVW and GVWR. Have you looked at the axle to see if there is a tag spot welded to it. It is to your advantage to use a cambered axle (upward bow in the center) especially with the current tire wear pattern. A 3500# axle will have 1-1/16 outer bearing and 1-3/8 inch inner bearing. What size tires are on the trailer at this point? A 3500# trailer would typically have ST205-75R15 tires.