bow roller

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
ok...im sure this has been asked 100 times. However, my 4inch roller on the trailer at the bow of my boat is shot. It's a simple replacement, but would it be a better choice to replace it with the rubber V version? It seems like it would not be as hard on the boat. Thoughts/Suggestions?

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
It is just a preference. the roller is most likely to keep the boat from hitting the trailer frame if placed in water too deep in ramp. Better to roll on rubber than steel.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think he is talking about the one where the bow rests near the winch strap. I'm going to change mine out for the same one.

bunnymoney

Seaman
I changed my roller out for the "V" shaped yellow stop.
The "V" is a full 2 inches wider than the 4" roller.
Now when I drive the boat onto the trailer it's much easier to plant the bow in the "V" than it was the smaller roller.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Never had a problem with the roller on the winch mast. Easy to keep rolling with some lube. But the centre roller towards the front of mine is usually shot every 2 years, it stops rolling then the keel is just dragging across it and wears a groove in it. I need to change mine again before I get Aluminum on steel, thanks for the reminder.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
If we are talking about the winch stop, I like a roller (with bells) too...I've had V-stops "sag" such that the V is facing the ground (loose hardware? compressed rubber?), over-power-loaded a little bit crooked and broken a leg off a V, split the V down the middle, etc. Never had any of those issues with a roller type.