Boat sliding down trailer when towing

navygin21

Recruit
Hey there, I am a total novice and some advice would be great. I recently purchased a 2003 Glastron 205 SF and it is on a single axle trailer. Every time we drive the 20 miles from the storage facility to the dock and vise versa the boat tends to slide down the trailer by 3-4 inches. It is winched down tight from the front and there are two ratchet straps from the boat to the trailer in the back. After the trip, upon inspection the winch is still tight and so are the ratchet straps in the back. Am I doing something wrong or would a boat naturally slide down a bit?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

When the boat is freshly winched and strapped at the transom, is the keel resting on the rollers and the bow against the bow stop?

If the front keel roller is not bearing weight, the boat will settle causing what you are seeing.

navygin21

Recruit
Thank you for the quick response. The boat rests against the bow stop but I will have to check to verify about the keel rollers tomorrow. The only thing I can think is maybe the winch is going out. The trailer is a 1994 and it looks like the winch may be the original. It probably doesn't help that the roads here in Southern California are very bumpy.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Is the winch strap brand new? Might need a bit before it is fully stretched.

oldjeep

Admiral
Post a picture of the winch post/ front of boat. Could have to do with the height of the winch post in relation to the bow eye or even that the strap is wound on the reel backwards.

tpenfield

Staff member
My 24 footer would always seem to 'rest' back a few inches on the trailer after traveling, even though it was tied down in the back. I think it may have something to do with the action of the boat on the trailer when you went over rough road surfaces or bumps.

I figure as long as the boat did not fall off of the trailer, it was all good. :)

navygin21

Recruit
I will post a picture in a couple of days when I go to the storage facility. Thanks guys.

Grnbasser

Cadet
Could be a combination of things such as the angle of the winch strap to bow eye and if your trailer is close to level when attached to your tow vehicle. Usually the friction of the bunk guides while using the tow hook and straps should keep it in place.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Please post pictures of the bow/winch area and the stern showing the rear hold down straps....You may have the wrong type of stern straps.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Perhaps the switch is worn on the winch. Is the handle in the same position as you left when you load ?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Just making sure but are you locking in the winch? (You set the switch in the position that doesn't let you unroll the strap with the handle)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i also have that issue, my pontoon will settle in a few inches back, but i stop ever few miles and give it a crank and it takes 2 times before its back on the stop

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
One thing that happens with a winch strap is if the boat is loaded up to the bow stop or close and then the winch is tightened, the wraps on the strap aren't tight and the wraps slip while trailering.

If the boat is loaded short of the bow stop and the winch is used to pull the boat up to the stop, the weight of the boat tightens the strap wrapping. You can feel the wrap slip tightening as the boat is pulled to the stop.

I hope you have a safety chain if the winch decides to fail.

As said earlier, some pics would help.

navygin21

Recruit
No Title

Sorry it took so long to responded. I was finally able to make it out to the boat, here is a picture. I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• photo268623.jpg
    photo268623.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 0

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
If I'm seeing that correctly, your winch is a touch low vs your bow eye. I think you should try to raise the winch arm maybe an inch or two, so that the strap sits level when winched up.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
when loading try this, tighgen the winch on front then go to back of boat and tighten the two straps on the transom,( theese two need to be very heavy duty turn buckle ratchet straps, with the wide thick webbing.) then tighten winch then to the back then winch until boat stops moving and both straps are tight. If you dont go back and forth the straps dont tighten up all the way!

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
​After you checked with the other suggestions, it wouldn't hurt to add a safety chain and turn buckle for added insurance

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's not uncommon for a boat to be back a couple inches after towing a short distance, this can be from several things, one is flex in the trailer and winch stand while loading. Once on level ground and being bounced around it settles in a resting position, I have one boat that does this every time. I hit the brakes while on a slight downslope and it will suck right up the winch post, then I retighten everything, after that it won't move again.