Trailer tires burning in weird pattern

speo

Seaman Apprentice
Tires and trailer are 10 years old, but they have low mileage, about 4000 miles. In may 2016 they looked like new, and in Sep 2016, after 1000 miles during 2016 season, they are burnt in a weird pattern. The 2 darker vertical stripes are burnt, while the two stripes around them and the one between them, still look good. Any clue what could have caused it? I know the tires are old, but this pattern look weird to me.

Attachments

• photo266231.jpg
    photo266231.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266232.jpg
    photo266232.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266233.JPG
    photo266233.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 0

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like ply on the tire has weakened from age/dry rotting. Just put a new tire on the ground on my boat trailer and replaced my spare with the tire I took off because my spare had unusual wear and feathering. Replace those tires as soon as possible, otherwise they may let you down at absolutely the wrong time.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I had the very same wear pattern on my tires 2 years ago.
Talked with several experts both online and at tire shop, and of course here on iboats.
Mine were about 8 years old, on a trailer with low miles as well.
Pressure was always run at max posted on the sidewall.
Trying to remember now, but think they were Innova brand, that came on the trailer when new.
Lots of ideas, but no real answer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I too was leaning towards under-inflated. But the outside edges are not worn. So I have no real idea. :noidea:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
10 year old trailer tires should be replaced asap. The tire rubber compounds in trailer tire compounds are different from car tires. Trailer tires are generally replaced due to time and deterioration not wear like car tires. Old trailer tires are dangerous because tire failure becomes more and more likely. As far as the wear pattern my guess is under inflation. Although usually under inflated tires have wear from the outside edge inward. It could also have something to do with the tire construction.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I had the very same wear pattern on my tires 2 years ago.
Talked with several experts both online and at tire shop, and of course here on iboats.
Mine were about 8 years old, on a trailer with low miles as well.
Pressure was always run at max posted on the sidewall.
Trying to remember now, but think they were Innova brand, that came on the trailer when new.
Lots of ideas, but no real answer.

Forgot to mention, mine had a weird heel toe feather to the tread in those 2 rows.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
10 year old tires are time bombs ready to go off. Just replace.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I too was leaning towards under-inflated. But the outside edges are not worn. So I have no real idea. :noidea:
depends on how under inflated. The two "insides" would be the first to touch.

The real problem is 10 yro tires.