Rebuilding Atwood Surge Brake Coupler, looking for some info

DirtyMaxin

Cadet
I'm getting ready to rebuild my trailer brake coupler, its an Atwood brand. I have all the new parts, but I'm curious, about the front part of the coupler, is the piece that latches the rear side of the ball attached to that front piece? I'm planning on disassembling completely and painting it all in gloss black rustoleum enamel. As far as I can tell, you need a special tool to separate the front piece of the coupler from the rear, and mine is welded. Just wanting to do everything right. If anyone has any other tips or advice it would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• photo266097.jpg
    photo266097.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266098.jpg
    photo266098.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I dont recall any special tools being needed.

however it may not be serviceable being welded in place. I had to have mine on the bench to replace the master cylinder on the old trailer

tpenfield

Staff member
I had the same coupler on my sailboat trailer. I cut the thing off and threw it in the trash. Not a good design in my opinion. Probably would get a better coupler for less than the replacement parts for the Atwood, sorry to say. I replaced that coupler with a Ditco (?) brand if I recall. Much better.

My recollection was that some of the parts at the front of the Atwood coupler were riveted and not bolted? Just cannot remember exactly.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I'm with Ted,..... Those couplers, Suck,.....

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just did mine on the trailer, parts are easy to find on ebay, hardest part was laying on ground while doing it...very bumpy!