Trailer Leveling

joeltjen10

Seaman
Last fall I had to have the axle repaired on my trailer and when they put it back together they flipped the leaf springs to give me more clearance. We bought a new vehicle this spring and I'm trying to determine the ball mount that I need so it can travel level. My issue comes with the tongue being level vs the trailer being level. When the tongue is level it sits really low compared to the vehicle and when the trailer is level the tongue is really high.

In the picture you can see my current towing vehicle next to the trailer when the trailer is almost level. The tongue is well above where the ball mount has always been on this vehicle. The tongue does have a curve in it making it look like its not completely straight but it is straight until it bends down to go under the angle iron that's on the bottom of the trailer.

Any thoughts on how I can make this safe for the new vehicle. If I level the tongue I would need a drop of 13". Do I need to re-flip the leaf springs? Can I safely get away with a balance between leveling the 2?

thanks!

Attachments

• photo265671.jpg
    photo265671.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Maybe its an optical illusion but it looks like the whole front of your trailer is bent upwards?

Even with that, looks like your trailer is not sitting parallel to the ground right now. Go near the trailer axle and measure the height to the bottom of the trailer frame. That height is a constant no matter what. Then lower your tongue jack so the frame is at that level at the front of the trailer and at the rear. Then you can see what the hitch rise should be.

joeltjen10

Seaman
Maybe its an optical illusion but it looks like the whole front of your trailer is bent upwards?

Even with that, looks like your trailer is not sitting parallel to the ground right now. Go near the trailer axle and measure the height to the bottom of the trailer frame. That height is a constant no matter what. Then lower your tongue jack so the frame is at that level at the front of the trailer and at the rear. Then you can see what the hitch rise should be.

It's a bit of an optical illusion but near the axle is as level as I can get it as the frame is still tilted forward according to the level sitting right in front of the wheel well. I wish I would have take a picture of it lowered so I could show the comparison.

I'll try measuring the bottom of the frame though because that makes sense and might split the difference for me.

I appreciate your time and I'll report back once I have some clear skies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you measure the height all along the trailer frame, it should be the same whether its the front or the rear. Once its the same, it's level with the ground.

You can't use a bubble level to do this since the ground you are sitting on is not level. What you need is the trailer parallel with the ground.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
That tongue sure doesn't look right. looks like someone modified it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Physics doesn't care what bends your trailer takes, level is determined by a line from the ball mount to the frame directly above the axle. Normally that line is a physical line, aka the frame. In your case, it is an imaginary line since the tongue takes a detour. In any case, measure the top of the frame above the axle, now measure the top of the frame right at the ball mount. Make those 2 match as close as you can.

Reality is that you don't need to be overly concerned about how level, as long as it is within reason. (yours is) Tongue weight (or lack there of) is far more important. Having a level trailer will just minimize shifts in tongue weight that can happen due to hills/loading/wind.

As others mentioned, that obviously isn't OEM (different paint even), so a picture showing the tongue/frame joining would be more interesting.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Assuming the tongue structure is sound per the comments above, I would just flip the ball mount in the receiver and flip the ball on the mount to raise the ball on the vehicle.

oldjeep

Admiral
Trailer appears to have no brakes, so level ish is fine. If it were mine id replace the banana shaped tongue and proceed from there.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It would appear (to me anyway) that if one looks at the point where the bow of the boat makes the turn to the horizontal keel, that something is sticking down. That is probably the rearmost attachment for the tongue and it also probably includes the front keel roller. It think the trailer is set up wrong. The front of the boat should sit a bit higher on the trailer and all other roller assemblies adjusted accordingly. This would bring the back end of the tongue upward, and pivot the coupler end downward thus making the tongue and the trailer frame perfectly in line with each other. The trailer frame looks parallel with the ground right now so to keep that perspective, measure the coupler distance from the ground. Measure the unloaded ball height on the tow vehicle. Now hook up the trailer and measure the coupler height again. The difference between the before and after readings amounts to the "tow vehicle squat" and is the amount you need to adjust the drop or rise of the ball mount to keep the trailer level.

ahicks

Captain
Have to agree. It does look like something is wrong at that point. Set up/assembly incorrect, something bent, broke, something. Trailer tongue should be in line with the rest of the trailer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Back to the flupped springs. They did not flip the springs. They flipped the axle. If the axle was cambered, they did you a disservice because tire wear will now be an issue.

joeltjen10

Seaman
No Title

The axle is still cambered but it's cambered in the same direction. This all started when one of my wheel hubs broke off, my tire rolled down the street next to me and the axle fell to the ground causing some damage to the axle and leaf springs. They rebuilt/repaired the leaf springs and a some axle repairs. Instead of mounting the springs below the axle they mounted them on top (See diagram).

I was able to get the height at the axle and the tongue to match up pretty well and that seems within reason so I ordered one of the adjustable ball mounts so I can play around with it a bit and so I'm certain it works for my other trailers.

I was planning to take some pictures last night but didn't feel like pulling the boat out in the rain. If it's still raining tonight I'll see if I can get some good pics in my garage.

Attachments

• photo265767.jpg
    photo265767.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
The axle location above or below the spring is not what's causing the tongue of the trailer to be tilted up - on a different plane than the rest of the trailer. That's the bigger issue here regarding level.

Regarding the axle, there's a pad welded on the top or the bottom. That pad is supposed to be in contact with the springs to support the axle. If you change the spring location from top to bottom, or bottom to top, you need to have the pads relocated (or a second one added) as well. You can't just roll the axle 180 degree due to the camber issue already mentioned.

Fed

Commander
Unwind the winch a few inches & see if the bow eye rises in relation to the winch stop rubber.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I didn't imply that the axle flip was part of the leveling issue. Actually, having the tongue not parallel with the trailer frame isn't either. You level the trailer just as I explained. Get out the yard stick and measure coupler height uncoupled with the trailer frame level. Couple up the trailer to the tow vehicle and measure again. Add the amount of squat to the coupler height and you now know how much rise or drop the ball mount needs to make the trailer frame level. The tongue doesn't care if it's level or not. Odd that it's not, but not a big deal unless there is a clearance issue.

joeltjen10

Seaman
No Title

For those interested, here are a few pictures that I took of where the tongue connects to the frame and the leaf springs on each side. I agree with everyone here that something appears to be off. It has been quite effective for me over the years and I think I have the leveling issue worked out based on all of your suggestions.

This forum is fantastic for all the help and insight people provide! Thanks!

Attachments

• photo265871.jpg
    photo265871.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265872.jpg
    photo265872.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265873.jpg
    photo265873.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265875.jpg
    photo265875.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
That arrangement, with the curved tongue and rear attachment point, is the damdest thing I've ever seen. It does look like it's been set up to carry the bow of the boat as low as possible. Still, if it were mine, there would be some re-engineering to get that mess straightened out. That rear attach point would be relocated as necessary to level things out. Doesn't look like something that would be that difficult.

Fed

Commander
I see the potential for a hooked hull in your future, at least make sure that can't happen.
Good luck with your project.

youmansjason

Seaman
On a single axle trailer that appears to not have any brakes, why does it matter how level the trailer is when towing? The important thing would be to check the tongue weight and make sure it's within the desired range. Then, based on the relatively low looking trailer hitch receiver on the tow vehicle, it looks like you need a hitch with about a 2 inch rise to it. Just enough to raise it up a bit and keep your chains from hanging too low and dragging while towing.

ahicks

Captain
While I agree it will pull just fine like that, it would make my eyes hurt every time I looked at it. That's me though....