Stuck hitch

TVZ

Seaman Apprentice
I have a ridiculously stupid problem. My hitches and hitch-mounted carrying rack get stuck in the receiver. I have tried wire brushing them and oiling them. This spring it seems worse than ever. I can't believe that I can't figure out something so simple; not like a complicated carburetor or something. What's the deal?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you are supposed to remove them after every use

you can use a pin gun to remove the scale

171468_2000x2000.jpg

TVZ

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the tip, Scott. However, I'm not familiar with pin guns, and don't find them on the Internet. Is there another name for them?

I thought maybe a wire bottle brush for my drill would be good, but can't find one long enough.

Also, would grease be a good thing to put in there once I get it all cleaned out?

Rapio

Seaman
Same problem after a long rough winter. Can't remove mine often as when not hauling a boat it is hauling a horse trailer. Just need a bigger hammer and serious cleaning.

TVZ

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like a needle scaler or a flap disc would work well on the shank of the hitch; but I suspect the worst of it is inside the receiver. Haven't found anything but a wire brush for that so far...

boatman37

Lieutenant
i no longer leave mine in. i had a 10,000 (paid about $80 for it) insert in my last truck and left it in there but couldn't get it out when i traded it in. tried about everything. even told the dealer i wanted it back but he said they couldn't get it either. now i take mine out after each use

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I always take mine off after each use. Used to leave it in but busted my shins a few times on it and learned real quick.

oldjeep

Admiral
Toss a good coating of antisieze on it before installing. Messy but works.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Some states require that you remove them when not towing. Ive always removed mine as towing is something I only do a few times a month.

Yes, grease would help keep things from corroding. I personally spray fluid film on everything.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Good friend of mine spent quite a while getting his hitch unstuck and working perfectly in and out .That night at work somebody stole it!Mine is locked in all summer and fall and is never seized so it will come out easily.

bigdee

Commander
I never had a reason to remove mine but it had so much play the noise was driving me nuts so I drilled and tapped two set screws into receiver to hold it in place.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have had that happen several times, i just drop the boat on it and go for a 20 mile tow and when i get back its lose, that simple

82rude

Rear Admiral
Toss a good coating of antisieze on it before installing. Messy but works.

Remember never seize is trained from inception to reconise white tee shirts and attack at every opportunity.Deadly range from zero to 8 feet.